Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kdenlive KDE Video Editor Is Still Progressing

Phoronix: Kdenlive KDE Video Editor Is Still Progressing

Last week after wondering the state of OpenShot 2.0, there was a long overdue update on OpenShot, a promising open-source video editor that hasn't seen a major release in years. Today there's an update to share on Kdenlive, the open-source KDE video editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what is the 15.04 release?

Comment

Ubuntu 15 (year) 04 (month) are usually long term supported. Kdenlive is great, love it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Ubuntu 15 (year) 04 (month)
        -.-

(stupid character limit)
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Altough it has very little to do with ubuntu lts system, versioning is ubuntu like.

Kde is now divided to 3 components: plasma 5, kde frameworks 5 and kde applications. Kde applications have been shared with kde4(you can compile it for both qt4 and qt5) and it's versioning goes like ubuntus year.month plus it can have bugfix version. Current stable kde applications came December 2014 and it have 2 bugfix releases so it's in version 14.12.2.
          KDE is an open community of friendly people who want to create a world in which everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom and privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            Ubuntu 15 (year) 04 (month) are usually long term supported. Kdenlive is great, love it.
            I was expecting 16.04 would be the LTS

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              I was expecting 16.04 would be the LTS
              Yup: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
                what is the 15.04 release?
                Originally posted by mike4
                Actually that's not what the 15.04 is referring to: https://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/A...lease_Schedule
                Like tuke81 pointed out.

And just to point out, I don't think mac and windows ports are priorities at all for Kdenlive. Those are just really old items left on the todo list. After the KF5 port they plan on refactoring the code and enabling gpu acceleration through the movit library. That will take them up to another 6 months I think was the estimate JBM mentioned on the mailing list.

Comment

Had 3 movies to just merge together the other week. 1x webm and 2x h264, wanted to output the whole to xvid. Tried kdenlive (that I liked in the past, even though it was crashing like hell), and it wouldn't let me add any video file as a clip :-/. I raged and got frustrated, went over to avidemux, worked like a charm.

I sick of KDE apps relying on gstreamer, why can't it be agreed to use vlc as the backend everywhere? It might be less pretty, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    Had 3 movies to just merge together the other week. 1x webm and 2x h264, wanted to output the whole to xvid. Tried kdenlive (that I liked in the past, even though it was crashing like hell), and it wouldn't let me add any video file as a clip :-/. I raged and got frustrated, went over to avidemux, worked like a charm.

I sick of KDE apps relying on gstreamer, why can't it be agreed to use vlc as the backend everywhere? It might be less pretty, but it works.
                    Ehh there is vlc backend for kde, you don't need to use gstreamer at all(infact vlc backend was maybe still is the default backend). But your problem is probably caused by libav/ffmpeg...

Comment

Working...
                    X