Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput Patches Add Touchpad Gestures & Wacom Tools

Phoronix: Libinput Patches Add Touchpad Gestures & Wacom Tools

In getting Wayland's input support ready for prime-time usage and with Fedora 22 switching its X.Org input stack to libinput, Red Hat developers have been very busy getting libinput to reach feature parity with the conventional X.Org input code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Libinput Patches Add Touchpad Gestures & Wacom Tools

In getting Wayland's input support ready for prime-time usage and with Fedora 22 switching its X.Org input stack to libinput, Red Hat developers have been very busy getting libinput to reach feature parity with the conventional X.Org input code...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Gestures-Tools
    Red Hat developer, mostly
    (great job Peter Hutterer)
    or "Red Hat and xfce and idk developers"

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      Red Hat developer, mostly
      (great job Peter Hutterer)
      or "Red Hat and xfce and idk developers"
      There is also Hans de Goede and Benjamin Tissoires working on libinput for Red Hat.

Comment

Excellent! I love the unification work Hope libinput speads everywhere soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans de Goede
          This series only adds swipe support. I've a bunch of backlight, uas and misc.
          other bugs which I need to look into Thursday and Friday. I plan to start
          working on zoom/rotate support next week.
          Seems like Hans de Goede just made a new fan today: Me! Thank you, libinput people.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
            There is also Hans de Goede and Benjamin Tissoires working on libinput for Red Hat.
            hence "mostly"

Comment

As long as all these gestures can be disabled then cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                As long as all these gestures can be disabled then cool.
                It's a gesture API. You use it to implement gestures. It doesn't implement gestures on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
                  It's a gesture API. You use it to implement gestures. It doesn't implement gestures on its own.
                  TFA said he was implementing the API and already had implemented swipe support, which can be interpreted 2 ways, if that means that he's writing out the API in code then you're right, if he's creating an implementation of the API then my point still stands.

I'm too busy to take a look at his patch set right now to determine which.

Comment

Ah, I don't think you understand. Libinput doesn't do anything with the input, all it does is collect the input and report it with very minimal abstractions. The abstractions are on the level of "user 1 pressed the A key" or "user 2 swiped right". Libinput doesn't assign any meaning to the input beyond that, and doesn't know anything about your applications or your desktop environment. It's up to Gnome to say "swipe right means switch apps" or for Tinder to say "Swipe right means I'm DTF."

This isn't like Wayland where it's a protocol that has to be implemented in code. An API is actual code that does stuff, it's just that libinput is lower in the stack than you think it is. I suppose it's likely that they'll implement gestures in Weston without any configuration, but then Weston is only intended to be a proof of concept.

Comment

Working...
                    X