Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8 Continues Working Towards Proper Desktop Support

Phoronix: Unity 8 Continues Working Towards Proper Desktop Support

Besides Canonical developers having released a new version of Mir, they've also continued concurrently advancing the Unity 8 UI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile Wayland works pretty good on Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet.

The experience with the demo compositor Weston is pretty bad.
    But gnome-shell works really good.

Install the package gnome-session-wayland and start with gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland and it works pretty good.
    There are still some rough edges, like drag-and-drop but overall it looks pretty good.
    It will be further improved with GNOME 3.16 which include further Wayland work and work on Wayland for the Mutter window manager.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Meanwhile Wayland works pretty good on Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet.

The experience with the demo compositor Weston is pretty bad.
      But gnome-shell works really good.

Install the package gnome-session-wayland and start with gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland and it works pretty good.
      There are still some rough edges, like drag-and-drop but overall it looks pretty good.
      It will be further improved with GNOME 3.16 which include further Wayland work and work on Wayland for the Mutter window manager.
      considering vivid is with gnome 3.14 i would disagre with you.
      It works pretty bad, hopefully gnome 3.16 will be alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
        considering vivid is with gnome 3.14 i would disagre with you.
        It works pretty bad, hopefully gnome 3.16 will be alot better.
        Yes, Vivid is with GNOME 3.14, but it works fairly well.
        I know drag-and-drop does not work, but other than that, it seems to work pretty well.

You can run a GNOME Shell session and run all GNOME applications (although GTK and Clutter use the X backend via XWayland and does not natively run on Wayland).
        But it works.

Comment

"....as well as rememberizing window size/placement. "
          rememberizing.. that is a new word..

Comment

I know drag-and-drop does not work, but other than that, it seems to work pretty well.

You can run a GNOME Shell session and run all GNOME applications (although GTK and Clutter use the X backend via XWayland and does not natively run on Wayland).
            But it works.
            I can't work well in Gnome 3.
            • I need a minimize/maximize button
            • I need to be able to see the open applications for easier ALT+TAB-ing and just switching in general.
            • It doesn't actually keep any of my display settings. I'd tell it to extend one way, or just duplicate and it would always revert back.

And I have issues with Unity as well. A good example is if you're playing a game in Steam, and Unity groups the game with the chat with the steam window (which Unity would always show as being minimized and not closed), ALT+TAB doesn't work so well. Also, Google Chrome with Google Hangouts has the same problem, where you'll try to ALT-TAB to Chrome and the chat window will be grabbed. I get that there's (ALT) + (~) but that's for switching within the same grouped windows. And of course the other issue is that it isn't as snappy as Unity 2D.

I really, really liked how Crunchbang handled multiple virtual desktops and program windows in that regard with Openbox and Tint2

Comment

But it works.
              Like you just said, moust of the stuff is running under Xwayland and the few that are running on it... well...

Comment

Which Ubuntu version will have Unity 8 by default or at least considered stable?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                  Like you just said, moust of the stuff is running under Xwayland and the few that are running on it... well...
                  Switch the backend environment variable then.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Switch the backend environment variable then.
                    Why? To be even wrost?
                    cant even minimize then

Comment

Working...
                    X