Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang Compiling The Linux Kernel Is A Big Topic For 2015

Phoronix: LLVM Clang Compiling The Linux Kernel Is A Big Topic For 2015

It's been talked about for years and is still an ongoing but very active endeavor: building the mainline Linux kernel with LLVM's Clang compiler rather than GCC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: LLVM Clang Compiling The Linux Kernel Is A Big Topic For 2015

It's been talked about for years and is still an ongoing but very active endeavor: building the mainline Linux kernel with LLVM's Clang compiler rather than GCC...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux-Kernel-2015
    GCC has improved a lot lately. I missed built-in functions for arithmetic with overflow checking that were in clang but not gcc.

Comment

Gcc sucks so much it was only able to bring us a working linux kernel in the previous 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Gcc sucks so much it was only able to bring us a working linux kernel in the previous 20 years.
        While I'm rooting for Clang in this situation (and pretty much in general), GCC does not suck. It has a few problems here and there, but by-and-large it's still one of the best (if not _the_ best) C/C++ compilers in the world.

Respect it, because it brought you (and continues to bring you) the Linux you love so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Respect it, because it brought you (and continues to bring you) the Linux you love so much.
          Wasn't that exactly the point that bulletxt was making?

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
            Wasn't that exactly the point that bulletxt was making?
            You know... I first replied as soon as I got home from work. Now that I have a bit of sense about me... I can see the sarcasm dripping off of his comment.

Work fries your brain...
            (also commas would be nice >.<)

Comment

GCC is probably the best compiler available, but Linux will benefit from Clang/llvm. It will help ironing bugs. GCC and llvm should benefit from this as well:

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                GCC is probably the best compiler available, but Linux will benefit from Clang/llvm. It will help ironing bugs. GCC and llvm should benefit from this as well:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61904
                Complacency brings a sense of superiority. Nothing about GCC and a best compiler available has any sense of fact to it.

Comment

Well GCC might force you to open source your code by propagating copyleft thoughts and force you to eat your toenails in a public event.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Complacency brings a sense of superiority. Nothing about GCC and a best compiler available has any sense of fact to it.
                    It's not about complacency, but number of supported architectures, matureness and wide range of software which is compiled by GCC. No other compiler is even close to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X