Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Is Providing Good Adreno A4xx Graphics Acceleration

Phoronix: Freedreno Is Providing Good Adreno A4xx Graphics Acceleration

Rob Clark continues making great progress on his Freedreno Gallium3D graphics driver for providing open-source support for Qualcomm's Adreno graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, I'm so glad adreno has good OSS drivers. Rob, You're AWESOME! I'm using this driver on an adreno 305. It still has some qwerks, but it works!

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I admire Rob for all his efforts, and going this far, but that board costs $249 and Quallcom chips are not so easy to buy at small quantities, thus there is no cheap boards with it. I would have been much more excited if the Lima driver had been integrated in Mesa and having that usable state. Example cheap boards with Mali GPU:

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        Don't get me wrong, I admire Rob for all his efforts, and going this far, but that board costs $249 and Quallcom chips are not so easy to buy at small quantities, thus there is no cheap boards with it. I would have been much more excited if the Lima driver had been integrated in Mesa and having that usable state. Example cheap boards with Mali GPU:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLin...ource-hardware
        Personally I've just been repurposing old phones. HTC is nice because they offer the possibility to unlock their bootloader.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLin...ource-hardware
          afiau they have some parts available in small quantities.. apq8064 is still somewhat more high end than what is in those low cost boards you linked to, but it is popping up in a number of places these days, including the $149 ifc6410 (which seems to occasionally go on sale for $75). And hopefully we see more going forward..

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Personally I've just been repurposing old phones. HTC is nice because they offer the possibility to unlock their bootloader.
            How would one go about putting Ubuntu phone or something on a HTC G2?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              How would one go about putting Ubuntu phone or something on a HTC G2?
              I don't know, I haven't tried. But this site lets you unlock the bootloader. http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader

I've been using gentoo to set up andriod.

Comment

@robclark

That fishtank demo seems capped somehow i have also same 42 fps with Kabini

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  @robclark

That fishtank demo seems capped somehow i have also same 42 fps with Kabini
                  Ah OK, in about:config:

layers.offmainthreadcomposition enable
                  layout.frame_rate 1000
                  MOZ_USE_OMTC=1 firefox
                  Now got 100+ fps on 10+sharks

Comment

See the thing is,

Most phones are built for the kernel version they're shipped with, along with the proprietary drivers. The stock Android is then tweaked around that. So when you boot up to a stock linux kernel on most phones the most you can get to is a bash shell through ssh and that's only if the wifi and/or usb hardware is supported.. A bunch of hardware doesn't have OSS drivers already included in the stock kernel.

That's exactly why it's no nice to see drivers like this come in and start supporting those devices.

Comment

Working...
                    X