Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.0 Doesn't Have The Weirdest Codename

Phoronix: Linux 4.0 Doesn't Have The Weirdest Codename

With last night's release of the Linux 4.0-rc1 kernel, Linus Torvalds changed the kernel codename from "Diseased Newt" to "Hurr durr I'ma sheep." While the codename may seem a bit odd, the Linux kernel codenames are generally quite awkward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pink Farting Weasel

Comment

I'm happy that Linus finally gave us users the chance to, democratically, put the name into Linux 4. This is the real change with this release /s

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Pink Farting Weasel
        Wow I thought you were joking.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Wow I thought you were joking.
          Back during the 2.6 days IIRC. Those were good times, there was some kind of homicidal hamster and a monster puppy back then too. And all kinds of speak-like-a-pirate jokes.

Comment

yep so true.

Comment

What the hell does that code name even mean?

Why the hell do we even need code names in the first place? What's wrong with LInux 4.0, Fedora 22, Ubuntu 15.4, Android 4.1, etc? Just stick to numbers and end this silly and meaningless trend. It's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                What the hell does that code name even mean?

Why the hell do we even need code names in the first place? What's wrong with LInux 4.0, Fedora 22, Ubuntu 15.4, Android 4.1, etc? Just stick to numbers and end this silly and meaningless trend. It's not even funny.
                Richard Stallman has stated that picking the name, and trying to pick something that will give all the other hackers a laugh, is half the fun of working on a project. Just because you have modern OS's doesn't mean you can just throw out all the old hacker traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Richard Stallman has stated that picking the name, and trying to pick something that will give all the other hackers a laugh, is half the fun of working on a project. Just because you have modern OS's doesn't mean you can just throw out all the old hacker traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Kivada
                    Surely you can find better memes than that.

And I'm not even trying.

Comment

Working...
                    X