Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 36 Brings Full HTTP/2 Support

Phoronix: Firefox 36 Brings Full HTTP/2 Support

Mozilla is officially releasing Firefox 36.0 today and with this version comes a number of new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

after reading beta notes, finally they decided to support Media Source Extensions

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
      after reading beta notes, finally they decided to support Media Source Extensions
      I know right? About time. Though I'm not really keen on the word "partial" being used. I just hope I can get decent 1080p video playback, and preferably lower CPU usage. I'm not entirely sure but I think FF is now the most CPU-heavy browser, while Chrome is the most RAM heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I know right? About time. Though I'm not really keen on the word "partial" being used. I just hope I can get decent 1080p video playback, and preferably lower CPU usage. I'm not entirely sure but I think FF is now the most CPU-heavy browser, while Chrome is the most RAM heavy.
        I vaguely remember "partial" just meaning that they only implemented the parts YouTube actually used, rather than features that would be used for... say... some kind of in-browser non-linear video editor.

Comment

Release notes from today:

There's no MSE yet, it's still only on beta.

Comment

strange, they just removed the line metioning 'media source extensions'.

so i download firefox for x86_64, they do have two option for mediasource on mp4 and youtube and webm separately along with 'mediasource.enabled' toggle

Comment

On the youtube.com/html5 page MSE is still all red. That partial implementation must be very partial at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
                strange, they just removed the line metioning 'media source extensions'.

so i download firefox for x86_64, they do have two option for mediasource on mp4 and youtube and webm separately along with 'mediasource.enabled' toggle
                They didn't remove the line. One was the changelog for the beta channel (from January) and the other for the release channel (from today). It's almost always different.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                On the youtube.com/html5 page MSE is still all red. That partial implementation must be very partial at the moment.
                If you use Firefox Developer Edition everything except MSE & H.264 will be green, and even that can be enabled with a pref.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
                  If you use Firefox Developer Edition everything except MSE & H.264 will be green, and even that can be enabled with a pref.
                  Sure, just pointing out that the current state is not worth being news yet.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Even accelerated FF still has high CPU. Someone explained it here in the forums and had to do with the way it renders on the screen if i remember correctly.

And yes MES is needed, GTK3 also wayland also etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X