Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Integration In The Works For KDE's KWin 5.3

Phoronix: XWayland Integration In The Works For KDE's KWin 5.3

KDE's KWin window manager maintainer Martin Gr??lin has been working recently on rootless XWayland server integration into KWin...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very long and informative blog post!
    tl;dr Oh my god, its full of hacks!

Comment

I can't image, that Wayland is under KDE production ready in under one year, GNOME, yes, but not KDE. I don't want to blame any KDE developer, I'm fine with KDE Plasma 5 which boosts my system a lot. It's the best desktop what I experienced so far. I think, KDE has a more sustainable concept than GNOME and wish them best wishes. For me, I try to do my part: I recently started to report bugs and installed packages with debug information to ease tracking down bugs. Maybe, one day I can send patches. I hope so at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        I can't image, that Wayland is under KDE production ready in under one year, GNOME, yes, but not KDE. I don't want to blame any KDE developer, I'm fine with KDE Plasma 5 which boosts my system a lot. It's the best desktop what I experienced so far. I think, KDE has a more sustainable concept than GNOME and wish them best wishes. For me, I try to do my part: I recently started to report bugs and installed packages with debug information to ease tracking down bugs. Maybe, one day I can send patches. I hope so at least.
        On the contrary, Wayland support seems to be progressing quite well, sure you can't really play around with it just yet, but according to the blog Martin thinks that he can get XWayland in by Plasma 5.3. My assumption is that Kwin / Plasma will have usable Wayland support by this summer and that it will become increasingly polished over 2H2015. It's not like they're just starting Wayland support now, for example the screenlocker now uses wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          If plasma2 ran on Weston you could have Wayland tomorrow. Even at that, you can currently run Weston -> KWin -> Plasma and have a Wayland KDE desktop.

At this point I'm starting to get the vibe that maybe KDE should have just supported Weston as its system compositor and frontended it with whatever functionality they needed to plug into Plasma. Considering you could use Openbox or Kwin under KDE4 I can't imagine the coupling got magnitudes worse in KDE5.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            If plasma2 ran on Weston you could have Wayland tomorrow. Even at that, you can currently run Weston -> KWin -> Plasma and have a Wayland KDE desktop.

At this point I'm starting to get the vibe that maybe KDE should have just supported Weston as its system compositor and frontended it with whatever functionality they needed to plug into Plasma. Considering you could use Openbox or Kwin under KDE4 I can't imagine the coupling got magnitudes worse in KDE5.
            It reminds me a bit of KDE3->KDE4 when kwin was rewritten with compositing support. They could have just taken compiz which was an example compositor at that time. But instead they decided to implement it in kwin and it turns out it was a good decision... kwin is much more stable. If you just take Weston it would be hard to achieve good integration of various components: screenlocker, compositor, plasma, etc...

Comment

Working...
            X