Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krita 2.9 Released, Their Biggest Release Ever

Phoronix: Krita 2.9 Released, Their Biggest Release Ever

Krita 2.9 was released today and it's this open-source graphics program's biggest release yet. Krita 2.9 represents over eight months of work and with this release comes many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Though GIMP is a photo editor and Krita is more of a sketcher, it actually seems like a pretty viable replacement to GIMP in a lot of ways (obviously not all). That's good though - linux really needs SOMETHING good at editing images. I think it'd be nice if GIMP did their own crowdsource campaign, but at this point I wonder if it'd just be easier to re-write it from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Though GIMP is a photo editor and Krita is more of a sketcher, it actually seems like a pretty viable replacement to GIMP in a lot of ways (obviously not all). That's good though - linux really needs SOMETHING good at editing images. I think it'd be nice if GIMP did their own crowdsource campaign, but at this point I wonder if it'd just be easier to re-write it from scratch.
      Not even close to a replacement for GIMP. The comparison is with MyPaint.

Your claim is equivalent to proclaiming Adobe Illustrator is a replacement to Adobe Photoshop. Think real hard on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        Not even close to a replacement for GIMP. The comparison is with MyPaint.

Your claim is equivalent to proclaiming Adobe Illustrator is a replacement to Adobe Photoshop. Think real hard on that one.
        Right, I get that. That's why I said a replacement "in a lot of ways". I wasn't even implying "most". Seems like you didn't think your response too hard either.

Comment

Right, I get that. That's why I said a replacement "in a lot of ways". I wasn't even implying "most". Seems like you didn't think your response too hard either.
          Nice useless attempt to deflect. It's a painting program that does not duplicate and `in a lot of ways' competes with GIMP. Neither does MyPaint. They complement the GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Nice useless attempt to deflect. It's a painting program that does not duplicate and `in a lot of ways' competes with GIMP. Neither does MyPaint. They complement the GIMP.
            I don't get it, do you have some problem me? Your attitude is pretty unnecessary. Based on what I've seen in Krita's toolbox, you COULD edit photos with it - I'm not implying completely or proficiently, but to some degree of professionalism. You can also draw/paint with gimp. They both share many of the same features; not enough to be as proficient as their competitor, but enough that if they both share a feature, maybe Krita could be a better choice. I say that because it's actively maintained and financially backed. I'm not suggesting people ditch gimp and I'm well aware that neither program can be a complete replacement. But hey, if you're just going to jump to the worst/stupidest possible conclusion about my thoughts then I'm just wasting my time here.

Comment

I think it'd be nice if GIMP did their own crowdsource campaign, but at this point I wonder if it'd just be easier to re-write it from scratch.
              why would it need re-writing?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                why would it need re-writing?
                Because they're taking 2-3 years to do 1 year of development work with the amount of people working on it? The only reasons I can think of for that are:
                1. They just don't care and thus aren't really working on it
                2. They keep being distracted by other, non-important work (this one is actually true to an extent, which anybody would know if you follow them on social media sites...)
                3. The code is so horribly bad that the porting process is delayed by them just trying to figure out what does what and how it all connects

I'm going to assume they're pretty passionate, so 1 can be struck out. 2 is actually sort of a problem I've noticed, but I can't tell if the porting devs are the ones involved in those side-projects (if not, it obviously doesn't matter. Separation of jobs and all). That leaves 3...

Comment

Perhaps bringing back Kimp

I saw some shim headers that enabled building basic GTK examples with Qt (gtk-made-qt or gqt or something like that). It would be extremely cool if that could be developed further so that advanced GTK applications (like GIMP and Gnome) could be built against Qt.

Comment

I don't get it, do you have some problem me? Your attitude is pretty unnecessary. Based on what I've seen in Krita's toolbox, you COULD edit photos with it - I'm not implying completely or proficiently, but to some degree of professionalism. You can also draw/paint with gimp. They both share many of the same features; not enough to be as proficient as their competitor, but enough that if they both share a feature, maybe Krita could be a better choice. I say that because it's actively maintained and financially backed. I'm not suggesting people ditch gimp and I'm well aware that neither program can be a complete replacement. But hey, if you're just going to jump to the worst/stupidest possible conclusion about my thoughts then I'm just wasting my time here.
                    Nah, Marc Driftmeyer has a bit of a bee in his bonnet about Krita. You'll find him posting something weird on Phoronix whenever Krita is mentioned, like how Krita won't ever have any success if it isn't ported to cocoa or what the native platform for OSX/iOS is called these days.

This guy agrees with you: http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Onli...-GIMP-to-Krita :-)

Depending on what you use Gimp for, Krita can be a perfectly fine replacement, for instance this guy is doing with Krita what he's doing with Gimp: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elias_ilustracao_design. Same with people who use Photoshop for painting, and in fact, Elias first used Photoshop, then Gimp and now has added Krita to his toolbox.

If you use Gimp for this kind of work, Krita isn't much of a replacement, though: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...licopter-shark :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X