LLVM 3.6 & Clang 3.6 Deliver More Features, Complete C++14 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 3.6 & Clang 3.6 Deliver More Features, Complete C++14 Support

Phoronix: LLVM 3.6 & Clang 3.6 Deliver More Features, Complete C++14 Support

LLVM 3.6 and Clang 3.6 are due to be released any day now and with this new version of the increasingly-used BSD-licensed compiler infrastructure stack are many improvements and new features to benefit the vast majority of users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: LLVM 3.6 & Clang 3.6 Deliver More Features, Complete C++14 Support

LLVM 3.6 and Clang 3.6 are due to be released any day now and with this new version of the increasingly-used BSD-licensed compiler infrastructure stack are many improvements and new features to benefit the vast majority of users...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...g-3.6-Features
    Nice to see that OpenMP support is finally getting in. I'm going to be very interested to see benchmarks when 3.7 comes out with full support as that's been the last stronghold of GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      as that's been the last stronghold of GCC.
      Haha, right after LLVM will be able to generate code for MSP430 or Atmel AVR. You see, whole Arduino stuff is actually just some avr gcc, soome libs and limited subset of C++. So mumbluing about "last' stronghold is a misnomer .

Comment

Good to hear OMP is probably in 3.7. We'll finally get some apples to apples testing. I fully expect GCC to surrender the performance crown by 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
          Haha, right after LLVM will be able to generate code for MSP430 or Atmel AVR. You see, whole Arduino stuff is actually just some avr gcc, soome libs and limited subset of C++. So mumbluing about "last' stronghold is a misnomer .
          There's really no reason to go with an Arduino over a Beaglebone Black or similar modern ARM-based hobbyist microcontrollers.

Regardless though I was talking about the performance arena. As it stands the primary reason to use GCC for production applications is OpenMP otherwise GCC and LLVM have been in a situation where they were trading blows with each other on binary performance, with LLVM winning out on compilation speed.

Comment

There's really no reason to go with an Arduino over a Beaglebone Black or similar modern ARM-based hobbyist microcontrollers.

Regardless though I was talking about the performance arena. As it stands the primary reason to use GCC for production applications is OpenMP otherwise GCC and LLVM have been in a situation where they were trading blows with each other on binary performance, with LLVM winning out on compilation speed.
            There is also runtime performance to consider. GCC has continues to improve as well. Competition in this space has been pretty good for both projects and I expect that to continue

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              There is also runtime performance to consider. GCC has continues to improve as well. Competition in this space has been pretty good for both projects and I expect that to continue
              Yes... That's what I was talking about, and then added that LLVM wins out in the end because it has a faster compilation speed, with comparable performance. I agree though, competition in this space has been a good thing particularly as it's forced things towards operating in a more standard compliant as opposed to GNU-reliant manner.

Comment

Wohoo! Finally nested namespace declaration! Why took it two decades?
                Let's party!!

(Yes i am aware not being a productive part of the gcc vs clang discussion. For my current project I switched to clang a week ago. Much nicer errors, significant compile time speedup )
                Last edited by Kemosabe; 26 February 2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Isn't their power use in completely different spheres? One you can run off a small battery for weeks, the other would exhaust a big cellphone battery in a day?

(disclaimer: Have never used arduino, only msp430)

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Wohoo! Finally nested namespace declaration! Why took it two decades?
                    Let's party!!

(Yes i am aware not being a productive part of the gcc vs clang discussion. For my current project I switched to clang a week ago. Much nicer errors, significant compile time speedup )
                    Have been using both gcc and clang for my projects for well over two years now, find compiler fanboyism rather hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                    X