Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quest For Decent, Low-Priced Server Cases & Racks/Cabinets

Phoronix: The Quest For Decent, Low-Priced Server Cases & Racks/Cabinets

Here's another quick update on the process of building out the new open-source benchmarking server farm... The construction of the room is going along nicely and I'm currently evaluating a few different server chassis and racks/cabinets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like the recessed lighting. Is it LED or CFL?

I can't tell what the part number is, but for CS4801H, it's $65 in Newegg. 2 80mm fans have less airflow and are going to be noisy, but I assume the noise will not be important in a server room?

I can't tell what the blue one is.

Comment

Great to see you've got a nice big room dedicated for this kind of stuff. I'm sure your wife will greatly appreciate it. Nice to see you're getting legitimate racks too - the old setup seemed a bit messy.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        I like the recessed lighting. Is it LED or CFL?

I can't tell what the part number is, but for CS4801H, it's $65 in Newegg. 2 80mm fans have less airflow and are going to be noisy, but I assume the noise will not be important in a server room?

I can't tell what the blue one is.
        12 x 12 Watt LED BR30 bulbs light the room. Working out very well, in fact, might be too bright that I may need to install a dimmer switch.

There's a ~$50 Logisys case at NewEgg and then the $65 one, those are the two shown in the picture.

Some of these systems are low-power APU/i3 systems where I might not even bother with the extra case fans given the basement is fairly cool anyhow. We'll see, but noise isn't too very important.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Great to see you've got a nice big room dedicated for this kind of stuff. I'm sure your wife will greatly appreciate it. Nice to see you're getting legitimate racks too - the old setup seemed a bit messy.
          Well already have my big main office room dedicated to my work. At least now the messy test farm is a small guest bedroom, so will be able to stop cluttering systems there.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

If you don't buy rack cases with rails you will regret it, trust me.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Know of any with rails at a decently affordable price? I haven't seen any.... :/
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                12 x 12 Watt LED BR30 bulbs light the room. Working out very well, in fact, might be too bright that I may need to install a dimmer switch.

There's a ~$50 Logisys case at NewEgg and then the $65 one, those are the two shown in the picture.

Some of these systems are low-power APU/i3 systems where I might not even bother with the extra case fans given the basement is fairly cool anyhow. We'll see, but noise isn't too very important.
                There are a couple of LED-/CFL-compatible dimmer switches at Home Depot. Or what about a [/url]light switch with occupancy sensor and dimmer capability[/url]?

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                +1

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Or what about a [/url]light switch with occupancy sensor and dimmer capability[/url]?
                  I don't think that would work out right when the light switch is in the stair well and not pointing towards the room, same reason I'm not using a motion sensor switch.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Oh, well that makes sense. I thought I can be of help saving a bit of electricity with the lights when you are not in the server room. So much for the strategically-placed light switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X