Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 2.2 "Weathermax" Brings Better VP9 & H.265 Support

Phoronix: VLC 2.2 "Weathermax" Brings Better VP9 & H.265 Support

VLC 2.2 (codenamed "Weathermax") was released today as the latest version of the popular, multi-platform, open-source media player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I haven't used vlc in a while now. Can anyone comment on the current level of VDPAU support? For Radeon that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
      I haven't used vlc in a while now. Can anyone comment on the current level of VDPAU support? For Radeon that is.
      Hardware acceleration seems to work. Just played a 1080p mp4 file.

Comment

For VDPAU, VLC 2.2 brings direct display (zero-copy) mode. This means VLC should now match the efficiency of other players which already had direct display since forever. I can't personally test it though, I'm all Intel, which uses VAAPI. And there's no direct display for VAAPI in VLC (there is in gstreamer and mpv).

Comment

VLC 3

I look forward to VLC 3 which will feature Wayland support!

Comment

xv broken, opengl broken, vdpau partially works... what to say, use mpv .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              xv broken, opengl broken, vdpau partially works... what to say, use mpv .
              OpenGL works fine for me (or at least I'm not getting errors from it). vdpau works pretty good on intel. I think I had issues with it once on AMD but I think it works ok now.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                OpenGL works fine for me (or at least I'm not getting errors from it). vdpau works pretty good on intel. I think I had issues with it once on AMD but I think it works ok now.
                Not for me, it also check for vdpau level on radeon and can't decode 60 fps videos, while those videos decode and play fine with mpv or on youtube.
                Last edited by dungeon; 27 February 2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Of course i can do things like patching the driver to allow 42 level so it can pass vlc checks ... but playback of those videos are all broken with any output in vlc, with or not patched driver... something that does not happen with other players.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 27 February 2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I switched back to SMPlayer recently, I don?t even remember why, but anyway? Now at least xscreensaver does not start in the middle of my videos.

But of course for some reason SMPlayer doesn?t save/reload the settings for each video correctly; it used to work?

Edit: now that I think about it it was because VLC choked on some videos that mplayer could play without any issue.
                    Last edited by stqn; 27 February 2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X