X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.12 Released After Nearly Three Years Of Work

Phoronix: Xfce 4.12 Released After Nearly Three Years Of Work

Xfce 4.12 has finally been released!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing is exciting about those tiny features, especially not for three years of development.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Nothing is exciting about those tiny features, especially not for three years of development.
      If you want 'exciting', you've come to the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Yes I agree with that. The development is slow and there is nothing new, mostly bugfixes, and those bugfixes should come as regular updates. NOT as a mayor version update after 3 years...

We have the case of KDE 4.11 which have 2 years of extended "support", but the funny thing is that opensuse 13.1 and mageia 4 have NOT updated the 4.11 to the latest (4.11.9 I believe).
        Last edited by cocklover; 28 February 2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

We have the case of KDE 4.11 which have 2 years of extended "support", but the funny thing is that opensuse 13.1 and mageia 4 have NOT updated the 4.11 to the latest (4.11.9 I believe).
          Maybe they are just going to 4.14 in their next release and LTSing that until KDE5 is well baked?

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
            Yes I agree with that. The development is slow and there is nothing new, mostly bugfixes, and those bugfixes should come as regular updates. NOT as a mayor version update after 3 years...

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
              Are we going to have to wait another 3 years to see 4.14?
              No, you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DL View Post
                No, you won't.
                What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                  What do you mean? Can you elaborate?
                  Xfce 4.14 will be a code cleanup release only (unless 4.12 which was bugfix + features + ux + a healthy dose of procrastination). Some of the hard work to get GTK+3 compatibility has allegedly been done, (e.g. panel plugin support and libxfce4ui building, just has a few widgets that need editing by now). The only bit that should actually be difficult is Thunar, the rest should be relatively straightforward.

So, I'd say 6-12 months (hard to predict...), but not 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DL View Post
                    So, I'd say 6-12 months (hard to predict...), but not 3 years.
                    Don't be funny. It's more likely this is the last Xfce release ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X