Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gitorious Gets Acquired By GitLab

Phoronix: Gitorious Gets Acquired By GitLab

Gitorious, a once formidable competitor to GitHub in the early days of the Git revision control system for hosting open-source projects, has been acquired by GitLab...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those wondering, GitLab hosts a proprietary “Enterprise Edition” on gitlab.com and distributes it for a fee. Only the “Community Edition” is free/libre (and also gratis).

Comment

While it's nice that Gitorious users can backup their data to Gitlab, is the option viable for many of those using a free online service? From what I know, one must host their own Gitlab service themselves. I'm pretty sure people only used Gitorious is because it did not involve self-hosting and Gitorious is free software, unlike Github.

Though, I got to say. Gitlab is better software overall. I bet it could help out distros a lot; especially starting ones or smaller ones. For example, Arch (and Arch inspired distros) use cgit for code, Flyspray for bugs, and MediaWiki for the Wiki. It's like everyone can have their own Github/Launchpad (two projects that cannot be self-hosted).

Comment

Nvermind, it seems Gitlab does offer online hosting. Sorry.

Comment

Its lack of popularity of course having nothing to do with being written in Ruby, making it a PITA to install and having it break for *every* Ruby update.

Interesting that Gitlab too is a Ruby trainwreck.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Its lack of popularity of course having nothing to do with being written in Ruby, making it a PITA to install and having it break for *every* Ruby update.

Well, even GitHub is written in Ruby, but you don't have to worry about the stack as it is not offered for install

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

It really isn't a trainwreck. GitLab works very well, and installs pretty nicely. I really can only see it breaking on Ruby updates if you're installing it on a bleeding edge distro, which really doesn't make any sense at all for this type of software. We are running instances of GitLab CE and CI on an EL6[.6] server, which I keep fully up to date. The only annoying deficiency, is that GitLab doesn't have a "reply by email" feature for issue tracking, which makes interaction with the issue tracker inconvenient on mobile devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                For those wondering, GitLab hosts a proprietary ?Enterprise Edition? on gitlab.com and distributes it for a fee. Only the ?Community Edition? is free/libre (and also gratis).
                EE has a few cute, but mostly useless, features added onto it. The reality is that its purpose is "pay for support", whereas the CE version is supported on a "you're on your own" basis. CE is licensed under MIT. EE version is source-under-NDA. Frankly, I wouldn't want to taint myself by obtaining access to it.

Learn about the various features of GitLab Premium, Ultimate, and Free, including issue tracking, time tracking, reporting, file locking, and more.

Comment

Working...
                X