Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Is Getting Excited About WebGL 2

Phoronix: Mozilla Is Getting Excited About WebGL 2

While the WebGL 2.0 specification hasn't been finalized yet, Mozilla is already hard at work on ensuring Firefox fully supports this next accelerated graphics standard for the web...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Obsolete already! Where is WebVulkan

Comment

I would prefer they prioritise hls streams: http://www.jwplayer.com/html5/hls/ I am tired of using Flash on Twitch.tv (add /hls to a stream to try it).

Comment

Internet browsers: the new X11! Practically an operating system and/or hypervisor by itself, with embedded GUI toolkit, password management, in-built scripting facilities, media playback, and massive facilities for building applications that range from word processing to video games! (Except, y'know, Internet browsers generally *try* to be 'secure'-ish, and don't manage hardware or have their own print server, but I'm ignoring that for the joke.)

I really don't think that in-browser games are all that great of an idea, anyway -- the Internet is for pouring over information, looking at funny cats, checking email, distributing free software, and the like. The Internet browser isn't a glorified universal-platform NFS-media wannabe thin-client, for crying out loud.

Comment

I've not seen any compelling uses for the first version yet, it's been mainly tech demos so far as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            Obsolete already! Where is WebVulkan
            obsolete already gaming in browser... sigh. even watching YouTube is painful experience compared to watching movie in some player. gaming is way more complex

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              obsolete already gaming in browser... sigh.
              Sure, but if a browser is the only platform you have (ChromeOS, FirefoxOS), then you need it.

I agree that it's not of much use to desktop users.

Comment

obsolete already gaming in browser... sigh. even watching YouTube is painful experience compared to watching movie in some player. gaming is way more complex
                Sure, playing with a flash plugin. With HTML 5 it really is no different than viewing a video in an application.

Comment

WebGL is cool and useful for demos and some use cases, but it can never compare to native performance. Heck, even with native performance, getting input handling, threading, and a steady frame rate can be a pain. And when even kernel latency matters a lot (low latency kernel vs normal kernel), any interpreted language can never come close to that level of responsiveness.

Comment

FOSS drivers will suck dick -as they do now- so no need to get excited about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X