Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPIR-V In GCC Is Already Being Talked About

Phoronix: SPIR-V In GCC Is Already Being Talked About

Interested individuals are already discussing the prospects of dealing with SPIR-V intermediate representation for the new Vulkan graphics API within the GNU Compiler Collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RMS ...

RMS wasn't too happy about the Linux kernel either but here we are today.... he'll get over it eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
      RMS wasn't too happy about the Linux kernel either but here we are today.... he'll get over it eventually.
      Actually I don't think RMS ever had anything against the Linux kernel. He wasn't (and still isn't) happy about Linus' stance on the politics of free software and about the fact that the whole world has always called it Linux, not GNU Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Actually I don't think RMS ever had anything against the Linux kernel. He wasn't (and still isn't) happy about Linus' stance on the politics of free software and about the fact that the whole world has always called it Linux, not GNU Linux.
        From Ulrich Drepper, the mantainer of glibc:

The glibc situation is even more frightening if one realizes the story
        behind it. When I started porting glibc 1.09 to Linux (which
        eventually became glibc 2.0) Stallman threatened me and tried to force
        me to contribute rather to the work on the Hurd. Work on Linux would
        be counter-productive to the Free Software course. Then came, what
        would be called embrace-and-extend if performed by the Evil of the
        North-West, and his claim for everything which lead to Linux's
        success.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
          From Ulrich Drepper, the mantainer of glibc:
          Interesting. Thanks for posting!

Comment

There is some open-source work around SPIR-V already going on.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for posting!
              @Jacob, I'd be careful in evaluating that post. The server it points to runs on an untrusted certificate.

Comment

Seeing stories emerge like the one of Allwinner, RMS might have a point there.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                  @Jacob, I'd be careful in evaluating that post. The server it points to runs on an untrusted certificate.
                  Eh, which server? I failed to find any untrusted certificates

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                    Seeing stories emerge like the one of Allwinner, RMS might have a point there.
                    Seeing stories like "dozens of corporations dumps billion of money into development of linux kernel", I still think Linus has a better point.

Comment

Working...
                    X