Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source SPIR-V Reader & Writer Written In Java

Phoronix: Open-Source SPIR-V Reader & Writer Written In Java

For those interested in the new SPIR-V specification for the intermediate representation used by Vulkan and OpenCL 2.1, a developer has already written an open-source reader and writer of SPIR-V...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a bizarre comment, Michael. And this from someone who has written a complete test suite using PHP...

Java tooling is extremely useful and can be very performative, as well as crossplatform. Maybe you're thinking about shipping a game with Java, but I don't think that's the point here. The point is to write compilers, decompilers, editors, and other tools for Vulkan using Java. Especially in the compute realm, this could prove very useful, as you can plug into Java's huge ecology of tools.

An amazing usage can be for a Java program to dynamically optimize parts of itself by recompiling them into Vulkan on certain platforms. Might not be generally practical, but I see really interesting research possibilities.

Oh, and in case someone does want to deploy a game on Java: does Minecraft ring a bell? It can work, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Perhaps the only disappointment of this implementation so far is that it's written in Java...
      This is racism. You need to resign and offer everything you have for non-profit java organizations now.

Comment

This could be helpful for any java game developers wanting to use the new api. And it doesn't matter since the driver will be reading the written shaders. That's the point, you only need to compile the shader once, and it will run on all compatible hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          An amazing usage can be for a Java program to dynamically optimize parts of itself by recompiling them into Vulkan on certain platforms. Might not be generally practical, but I see really interesting research possibilities.
          You could get this by the GCC backend they are talking about, as GCC understands Java source code. But just by writing a SPIR compiler in Java, you won't get Java language support

Comment

Originally posted by TFA
            Perhaps the only disappointment of this implementation so far is that it's written in Java... This SPIR-V reader/writer was mentioned as part of the discussion regarding SPIR-V in GCC, but even thinking about the prospects of using Java along a core path dealing with graphics and GPGPU compute feels painful.
            Echo this. I feel the same way about Python as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              This is racism. You need to resign and offer everything you have for non-profit java organizations now.
              I don't think the word racism means what you think it does.

The race of the author has no relevance here and Java is not a race.

Comment

Offensive remarks

If you could keep to reporting the news without the derogatory remarks it would be much appreciated. You may not be a Java programmer, but i am and find such remarks disrespectful and completely off the mark to say the least.

Thanks

Comment

Minecraft

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

Oh, and in case someone does want to deploy a game on Java: does Minecraft ring a bell? It can work, it seems.
                  Yes, Minecraft happens to be written in Java and probably countless other Games on the Android Platform!!

Comment

Originally posted by ant8 View Post
                    If you could keep to reporting the news without the derogatory remarks it would be much appreciated. You may not be a Java programmer, but i am and find such remarks disrespectful and completely off the mark to say the least.
                    I agree. Not only that, but it completely overlooks some really good use cases for this:

Android development happens primarily on java IDEs. This library would be trivial to add to an IDEA or Eclipse plugin and make them compile shaders and generate SPIR-V code, maybe even with graphical tools.

Seriously, for Android development it would be hard to pick a better language than java for this library.

Comment

Working...
                    X