Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brand New Linux Network Stack Proposed: Linux XIA

Phoronix: A Brand New Linux Network Stack Proposed: Linux XIA

A brand new networking stack is seeking to be merged into the mainline Linux kernel that's been under development for the past few years. Hello, Linux XIA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

A brand new networking stack is seeking to be merged into the mainline Linux kernel that's been under development for the past few years. Hello, Linux XIA...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Network-Stack
    too much abstractions

Comment

Sounds to me like a conversation started terribly on the wrong foot in the mouth no matter whether XIA will fly or not

Comment

Humm...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Network-Stack
        Developers of something new asking for kernel devs to consider including their code in the kernel, but .... it's a entirely new packet format, etc.

The more I read about this the more I want to determine if these new packets can even be routed by current routing technologies?

Or is this proposal a "forklift upgrade" of everything we currently use and understand in Linux networking?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          Developers of something new asking for kernel devs to consider including their code in the kernel, but .... it's a entirely new packet format, etc.

The more I read about this the more I want to determine if these new packets can even be routed by current routing technologies?

Or is this proposal a "forklift upgrade" of everything we currently use and understand in Linux networking?
          Clearly it isn't about being able to route them with existing technologies. If you are setting up a supercomputer interconnect, directly linking computers over ethernet, or trying to make a custom network, at least this will help you do the job. I am curious as to if it can manage the same speeds or better compared to the existing stack for TCP/UDP.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
            Clearly it isn't about being able to route them with existing technologies. If you are setting up a supercomputer interconnect, directly linking computers over ethernet, or trying to make a custom network, at least this will help you do the job. I am curious as to if it can manage the same speeds or better compared to the existing stack for TCP/UDP.
            It's not a completely new Network stack but more a framework for other (future) protocol as pointed out here : http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...3.0/04638.html

Comment

They should propose adding the hooks or other changes needed to the kernel first. Then let it get tested until 4.3 and offer the larger section at that time.

Comment

IPv4, what about IPv6?

Comment

Working...
                X