Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Starts Listing The Steam Machines In The Steam Store

Phoronix: Valve Starts Listing The Steam Machines In The Steam Store

Valve has started showing off the Steam Controller and the many different Steam Machines within the Steam Store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. These are apparently all powered by SteamOS.

I am surprised at the price difference between Intel CPUs and Amd ones. Steam Machines with Intel CPUs are around 200$ more or so. Why so much difference? What does Intel CPUs offer over AMD CPUS?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Nice. These are apparently all powered by SteamOS.

I am surprised at the price difference between Intel CPUs and Amd ones. Steam Machines with Intel CPUs are around 200$ more or so. Why so much difference? What does Intel CPUs offer over AMD CPUS?
      Performance, even on games you wouldn't think are CPU bound AMD can hurt performance that's why AMD developed mantle it makes CPU performance almost irrelevant. Likwise with Vulkan and DX12 CPU performance shouldn't matter much.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
        Performance, even on games you wouldn't think are CPU bound AMD can hurt performance that's why AMD developed mantle it makes CPU performance almost irrelevant. Likwise with Vulkan and DX12 CPU performance shouldn't matter much.
        Are Intel CPUs that much faster than AMD, even when they both run at the same frequency and using the same instruction set?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Are Intel CPUs that much faster than AMD, even when they both run at the same frequency and using the same instruction set?
          Yes, intel has a better architecture and is on a much smaller node.

Comment

It's true, and this is coming from me! I love buying AMD stuff.

Comment

See http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-8350-review/6 the 8350 loses to i5 chips.

Edit: Also an AMD fan though, zen is going to be amazing.

Comment

A bit of context never hurts...

Many modern games make little use of the CPU, instead ploughing resources into the GPU, making the CPU?s impact on high-resolution performance difficult to test. As such, we?ve drafted in the Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, one of the easier games in our 3D benchmark suite, as well as a GeForce GTX 690 4GB to remove as many of the graphical limitations as possible.
                Test signature

Comment

These things are dead on arrival.

Steam Link has some potential though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    These things are dead on arrival.
                    Why? These machines are intended for those wanting a gaming PC for their TV without building one themselves. These might not be huge sellers, but there is certainly a market.

Comment

Working...
                    X