Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.5 Release Brings Skylake Support, NIR IR

Phoronix: Mesa 10.5 Release Brings Skylake Support, NIR IR

Emil Velikov announced the much anticipated release of Mesa 10.5 this evening, which is the quarterly update to this open-source (primarily Linux) user-space graphics stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, Frankenstein's extension supported now

- GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp on i965, nv50, nvc0, r600, radeonsi, llvmpipe
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Only 2 extensions remain until 4.0 compliance. Slowly but we're getting there.

Comment

What is i965 driver? I use i915 on my haswell laptop, is i965 better?

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
          What is i965 driver? I use i915 on my haswell laptop, is i965 better?
          You use i915 as a kernel driver and i965 as a mesa driver... those mesa driver names might differ depending on chip, but kernel driver name is always i915.

Comment

stupid question. I would that in Linux the graphics driver is spread out in many components such as DRM, X, Mesa. Wouldn't the vendor be the one writing the code in those respective sections? Because it seems like someone else wrote the Mesa code for Intel Skylake, not Intel themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              stupid question. I would that in Linux the graphics driver is spread out in many components such as DRM, X, Mesa. Wouldn't the vendor be the one writing the code in those respective sections? Because it seems like someone else wrote the Mesa code for Intel Skylake, not Intel themselves.
              It is the same with radeon . radeon is kernel driver name and all current chips are supported with it, while mesa drivers are named as: radeon, r200, r300, r600 and radeonsi. For intel kernel driver name is i915, while mesa drivers are i915, i965 and ilo...

Comment

I understand that. I'm talking about the authors of the Mesa code. It seems from this article and others that the Mesa drivers are written by the Mesa team and not the vendor.

Comment

I understand that. I'm talking about the authors of the Mesa code. It seems from this article and others that the Mesa drivers are written by the Mesa team and not the vendor.
                  Brian Paul started mesa 22 years ago, there was many authors from that time. You have companies who write something in particular mentioned in the code.

Comment

Depends on the driver. i915 and i965 are written mostly by Intel with some outside contributions, the radeon drivers (r300, r600, radeonsi) have AMD people working on them. But freedreno was not written by Qualcomm (Rob Clark is a RedHat employee) and likewise Nvidia isn't working on nouveau (the only paid developer is Ben Skeggs, also a RedHat employee).

Comment

Working...
                    X