Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaTek Said To Be Licensing AMD Graphics Technology

Phoronix: MediaTek Said To Be Licensing AMD Graphics Technology

Taiwanese SoC manufacturer MediaTek is said to be licensing AMD graphics technology for use in future high-end ARM SoC designs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good news

This is indeed very good news if it turns out to be true. The rumors about AMD ARM chips turned out to be true and this indeed plausible since AMD have no interest in mobile phones and tablets these days so might as well make an extra buck by selling the graphics IP to Mediatek.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Assuming everything pans out, it will be interesting to see what happens from a driver perspective whether MediaTek would make use at all of the open-source Linux graphics stack with the Radeon Gallium3D driver working on Android or if they'd go for Catalyst or some other route
      Developing their own driver doesn't make sense. And considering AMD is going to go mostly-OSS, I'd be surprised if they'd use a large blop on android.

Comment

Last year i heard that Intel will acquire MediaTek, so this is probably just FUDzilla... but who knows

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Developing their own driver doesn't make sense. And considering AMD is going to go mostly-OSS, I'd be surprised if they'd use a large blop on android.
          You never know, Mediatek has a passion for close source stuff. At least given the similar or identical architecture it will be much easier to adapt the AMD open source driver as was done in the case of Tegra and Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Last year i heard that Intel will acquire MediaTek, so this is probably just FUDzilla... but who knows
            Maybe Intel wants to aquire MediaTek in order to get a license for AMD GPUs

Comment

Developing their own driver doesn't make sense.
              Correct me if i'm wrong. A big part of the FOSS Radeon Driver is MIT/BSD Like licensed. I believe that they ship only a blob. If its not the Kernel Driver, then they ship a userspace blob.

Comment

Maybe Intel wants to aquire MediaTek in order to get a license for AMD GPUs
                They can get one if they want. The Question is why? The Intel GPUs work quiet well and more as fast enough for a integrated card.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  They can get one if they want. The Question is why? The Intel GPUs work quiet well and more as fast enough for a integrated card.
                  I dare to disagree. All APU's currently have a major problem, the memory bandwidth. The only Intel APU that performs okish is the ones with integrated eDRAM. The fact is that almost ALL Intel gpus can't even run a desktop confortably. The first second the GPU needs to touch memory it's screwed.

Comment

Some friends they are, given how often they copypaste Phoronix articles without linking or attribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X