Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Connect Gets A Bluetooth Backend

Phoronix: KDE Connect Gets A Bluetooth Backend

In light of the GNOME Nuntius announcement for delivering Android notifications to the GNOME desktop via Bluetooth, several Phoronix readers have pointed out that last week the KDE Connector project received a Bluetooth back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: KDE Connect Gets A Bluetooth Backend

In light of the GNOME Nuntius announcement for delivering Android notifications to the GNOME desktop via Bluetooth, several Phoronix readers have pointed out that last week the KDE Connector project received a Bluetooth back-end...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...etooth-Backend
    I was just going to put in a feature request about this because my college networks seems to filter out the packets that KDE Connect uses for device discovery.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      I was just going to put in a feature request about this because my college networks seems to filter out the packets that KDE Connect uses for device discovery.
      IIRC, you can input your IP manually on your phone if the broadcast packets are filtered.

Comment

They should abstract away that core functionality into a shared library.
        Then the same library can be shared by both KDE and GNOME applications.

Right now KDE Connect and GNOME Nuntius are doing the same thing and duplicating effort and functionality when they could be sharing a common library.

Comment

KDE Connect is effectively their equivalent of the new GNOME Nuntius initative."
          It is a lot more than that. Nuntius includes notifications. KDE Connect includes notifications, battery monitor, 2-way file and link transfers, browsing the phone file system from the computer, and using your phone as a touchpad, keyboard, or mpris remote.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            They should abstract away that core functionality into a shared library.
            Then the same library can be shared by both KDE and GNOME applications.
            KDE connect devs are already planning to do that. It has been on their todo list since before Nuntius was even started.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              IIRC, you can input your IP manually on your phone if the broadcast packets are filtered.
              Non-static IPs and every building is gets diff IP ranges so I'd have to enter the new IP every time I wanted to connect. And before someone says "can input hostname" that gets filtered too apparently. Its BlueTooth or nothing on my campus :/
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

KDE Connect isn't available for BlackBerry.

What is strange is: there IS a KDE app for BlackBerry... a helper app for Akademy 2014. So there seems to be no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  KDE Connect isn't available for BlackBerry.
                  I think he confused a "Let's make KDE Connect Qt-only, then BlackBerry and Jolla versions would be possible" plan with a working version.

Comment

Awesome! I've been using a hacky work around due to blocked ports on my university network: set tethering up on my phone and connect the laptop to the phone that way. This is a welcome enhancement

Comment

Working...
                    X