OpenGL 4.0 Turns Five Years Old, Mesa Still Doesn't Fully Support It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.0 Turns Five Years Old, Mesa Still Doesn't Fully Support It

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.0 Turns Five Years Old, Mesa Still Doesn't Fully Support It

Time sure seems to fly by: OpenGL 4.0 turned four years old today. The sad part is that Mesa still doesn't fully implement the GL 4.0 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much games use OpenGL 4.x, Windows, Linux and OS X? Aren't some of fingers on my one hand enogh to count them or maybe i need two

Five years? Is there at least five games who uses it?
    Last edited by dungeon; 11 March 2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Basic editing please

Title says five years, article's first sentence says four years then contradicts itself claiming 2010 as the origin.

Edit: Another glaring mistake - "For about a year now OpenGL 4.0 has seemed fairly in shape for supporting OpenGL 4.0"
      Last edited by gigaplex; 11 March 2015, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
        Title says five years, article's first sentence says four years then contradicts itself claiming 2010 as the origin.

Edit: Another glaring mistake - "For about a year now OpenGL 4.0 has seemed fairly in shape for supporting OpenGL 4.0"
        It's five years. Just one typo in the article mentioning four when thinking about OpenGL four dot oh.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It's five years. Just one typo in the article mentioning four when thinking about OpenGL four dot oh.
          Except you also missed the other typo where you replaced Mesa with OpenGL 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
            Except you also missed the other typo where you replaced Mesa with OpenGL 4.0.
            I see your edit now from previous message, thanks! Should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it, long day.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              How much games use OpenGL 4.x, Windows, Linux and OS X? Aren't some of fingers on my one hand enogh to count them or maybe i need two

Five years? Is there at least five games who uses it?
              You don't think the lack of apps could be because only Nvidia's binary drivers have properly supported it over the last 5 years?

Comment

I'm wondering...if Vulkan eventually replaces OpenGL, then would that end the practice of game specific optimisations in graphics drivers? If so, then that would eliminate one of the otherwise insurmountable barriers to achieving performance pairity because I doubt that it would be something that would ever happen in mesa.

On other fronts, manpower issues will probably continue to be an issue if new OpenGL specs are released. Maybe if the newer specs focused on Spir-V integration, it would be a little less overwhelming for them because they would have to do that for Vulkan anyway...depending on how the drivers come together and if there is more driver integration by AMD in reguards to Spir-V, etc.

Comment

I know at least Metro Redux uses OGL4, and doesn't work without it.

It is also kind of hard to develop anything targeting it when Intels driver is stuck on 3.3 at best, which means any game coming to Linux will have a minimum OGL version of 3.3 today, and in all likelihood targets 3.1 because older Intel chipsets can't even run that, and IB only recently got there. But the way you develop using the indirect draw commands and such is so wildly different than 3.3 style stateful synchronized molasses that you write all your non-shader code twice to take advantage of modern OpenGL vs half decade old OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                    You don't think the lack of apps could be because only Nvidia's binary drivers have properly supported it over the last 5 years?
                    Well as i see it, it is not if some company provide some features or not, it is about how well it was accepted and it is not... Thing is not only about OpenGL 4, but also about Direct3D 11.x both are epic fail

Comment

Working...
                    X