Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google To Shutdown Google Code, Concedes To GitHub

Phoronix: Google To Shutdown Google Code, Concedes To GitHub

Days after Gitorious got acquired by GitLab, the latest code hosting platform seeing a shake-up is Google Code. Google has announced today they're shutting down Google Code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everyone and everything is on Github now. I wonder what happened if it just disappeared some day, without notice. It would be painful for many.

Comment

Well, its no surprise.
      Google Code is very uninteresting and GitHub is hot.

Google spent no time to develop and maintain Google Code, they just left it there to rot. It got no new features, no new development. It stagnated.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Everyone and everything is on Github now. I wonder what happened if it just disappeared some day, without notice. It would be painful for many.
        Um I wonder what would happen if Google just disappeared some day, without notice?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          This is why I use gitorious (now gitlab). If they go down, I can rehost it myself and all the code is open. I was able to transfer my projects to gitlab no sweat, but I also always had the option to self-host a gitorious clone myself.

The fact at least Githubs skeleton of repo / discussion / issue / wiki / verison trackers are still proprietary is an affront to how popular they have become. The industry sells its soul to Github and gives them way more trust than anyone should ever place in a corporation hosting proprietary software. You have no recourse if Github pulls a Youtube and ruins the interface, or pulls a Google Code and shuts down if they don't give you some way to transfer off the platform.

Comment

Google code was extremely dated tbh, not surprised.

I try not to use github for political reasons. Amongst which are github not being open source itself, and github censoring repositories(a github employee was removing repositories that disagreed with his political agenda, and was discussing it openly on twitter...)

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              This is why I use gitorious (now gitlab). If they go down, I can rehost it myself and all the code is open. I was able to transfer my projects to gitlab no sweat, but I also always had the option to self-host a gitorious clone myself.

The fact at least Githubs skeleton of repo / discussion / issue / wiki / verison trackers are still proprietary is an affront to how popular they have become. The industry sells its soul to Github and gives them way more trust than anyone should ever place in a corporation hosting proprietary software. You have no recourse if Github pulls a Youtube and ruins the interface, or pulls a Google Code and shuts down if they don't give you some way to transfer off the platform.
              +1(except for gitlab, gitlab is *NOT* a good FOSS alternative to github. Read up here)

you think open source would have learned their lesson the first time after bitkeeper.

Comment

I'll just leave this here, from the Libreboot developers:

Happy reading.

In short, GitLab is partially proprietary, and GitHub's back-end is proprietary, like Google Code's was.
                Last edited by Calinou; 12 March 2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

projects can download their source/issues/Wikis through the rest of 2015.
                  This should be 2016, not 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    I'll just leave this here, from the Libreboot developers:

Happy reading.

In short, GitLab is partially proprietary, and GitHub's back-end is proprietary, like Google Code's was.
                    funny how big corporations open source their software and masquerade behind MIT/"Open Source" as if they're being benevolent by letting the common riff raff contribute to their great repository, when in reality they're taking code from strangers and charging for it.

I'm pretty anti-RMS most of the time, but one of the strongest tools free software has is copyleft. GPL too restrictive? Use MPLv2 - it's what most of my code released is under.

Comment

Working...
                    X