Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice GTK3 Support Is Indeed Moving Along

Phoronix: LibreOffice GTK3 Support Is Indeed Moving Along

Over the night I wrote about GTK+ 3.x support being improved inside LibreOffice after noticing the relevant Git commits while now the Red Hat developer has come forward and elaborated on his work to improve the GTK-related code within LibreOffice...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: LibreOffice GTK3 Support Is Indeed Moving Along

Over the night I wrote about GTK+ 3.x support being improved inside LibreOffice after noticing the relevant Git commits while now the Red Hat developer has come forward and elaborated on his work to improve the GTK-related code within LibreOffice...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-GTK3-Kicking
    is this just about common dialogs? or whole VCL? just curious because later it would translate into "hello native libreoffice on wayland"

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      is this just about common dialogs? or whole VCL? just curious because later it would translate into "hello native libreoffice on wayland"
      That is just GTK3. Even if VCL itself was ported to wayland, major apps like LibreOffice likely has direct X11 lib calls anyway. Meanwhile XWayland will be used. It might be several years before everything major gets ported over.

Comment

Thank goodness for LibreOffice. This is the most benevolent fork in history- without it, our best hope would be to create a new office suite from scratch using what we learned from previous attempts. Here's hoping the progress doesn't stop here.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Libreoffice is getting closer to GNOME. This is good for the linux desktop. Fedora might try to push this on Fedora 23. Just like GTK firefox is pushed by Fedora.
          Hmm Horton is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            That is just GTK3. Even if VCL itself was ported to wayland, major apps like LibreOffice likely has direct X11 lib calls anyway. Meanwhile XWayland will be used. It might be several years before everything major gets ported over.
            Hmm. Might need to use Calligra in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              Libreoffice is getting closer to GNOME.
              No, it isn't.

Comment

thanks

blah, there goes my hope for X11 free future with 23. if only i could explain to some people i work with that centring text and making it bold does not require complete LibreOffice

Comment

GTK3 VCL backend uses client side rendering for documents so it doesn't forward the calls to X11. Anything else goes through GTK3 so I think it should be possible to use Wayland directly with some effort. There is also the OpenGL backend that should also solve allow LO to use Wayland (once it uses EGL) but it currently broken on some OpenGL drivers.

Comment

I don't get why they keep vcl.
                    Qt would be better, so no separate work for each OS.
                    Vcl dont Supports every Feature on Linux for example trsnsapency.

Comment

Working...
                    X