Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geekwire LP-4: Low-Cost, Mini-Projector

Phoronix: Geekwire LP-4: Low-Cost, Mini-Projector

With the recent launch of the Raspberry Pi 2, I had immediately ordered one for some ARM hacking, as the price-performance angle was finally acceptable. Then it hit me, I had no idle screens with HDMI/DVI input.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tape measure really? Where's the banana?

Comment

Interesting, although a followup with HDMI testing would be nice.

Fun fact: in my university, the main classroom of my department has a projector that only accepts VGA. Yes, that connection made in 1987 for static PCs, which doesn't support hotplugging in the slightest. The result? First, the red channel disappeared. Then, the green channel disappeared, and to get it back temporarily you would have to hold the connector while doing a presentation. Now even that doesn't work any more... and that was after the connector was already replaced once.

So yea, from all this you can see that connectors make a huge difference, and VGA should cease to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        VGA should cease to exist.
        I disagree. VGA works fine and is still useful for DIY projects and special uses. Analog has its advantages. And sometimes it's even better than HDMI.

It's HDMI which should cease to exist.

Even my brand new 23" touchscreen monitor receives underscanned picture through HDMI. Yes, the problem is in the sender, but I can't fix it easily. The simplest fix is to not use HDMI. Any other connector will do.

Comment

Many projectors still use VGA as they are old and still work. Any more digital replacement would cost a lot and do nothing except of having different interface.

Comment

VGA isn't that bad. For full HD resolutions and lower, it's very capable.

Anyway, though I think this projector is pretty nifty, it seems a little too dim and the resolution is a bit too low for my liking. There are pocket projectors that, though maybe more expensive, are more practical.

Comment

lumens? lcd is different form led.

Comment

Are there any great 1080P projectors for home-theater use in a pitch-black room? Something around a $300 ballpark?

Comment

Originally posted by ahlaht View Post
                  Even my brand new 23" touchscreen monitor receives underscanned picture through HDMI. Yes, the problem is in the sender, but I can't fix it easily. The simplest fix is to not use HDMI. Any other connector will do.
                  Let me guess you use fglrx or Windows and you did not find the needed setting in amdcccle or the AMD settings inside Windows yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    lumens? lcd is different form led.
                    The manual states 400 lumens, I have no way to measure it. I'm not aware of any OLED projectors, this is a LCD projector with LED lamp(s).

Comment

Working...
                    X