StarTech 42U Rack Cabinet Make For Nice Low-Cost, Rackmount Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarTech 42U Rack Cabinet Make For Nice Low-Cost, Rackmount Setups

Phoronix: StarTech 42U Rack Cabinet Make For Nice Low-Cost, Rackmount Setups

In the process of building our new open-source, Linux benchmarking test farm the server racks I settled for are the StarTech.com 42U rack cabinets. I've bought three of these StarTech.com 42U (4POSTRACK42) racks in the past few weeks and have been happy with their quality for low-price and it includes casters, levelers, and cable management hooks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3D printing

What if rack mount cabinets could be 3D printed?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What if rack mount cabinets could be 3D printed?
      The rack mount cabinets will have to be very solid and sturdy when printed using a 3D printer.

Comment

Poor Mans Rails

Hi Michael

If you can live with losing some rackable space - I would suggest getting yourself some 90 degree angle iron/aluminium and turning it into some rack rails.

this way you can have the bottom server of a stack rest on that and not sag under the weight of everything else.

procedure:
        1) buy the angled metal of your choice (something that is 1 RU along the sides should be strong enough)
        2) cut the metal along the angle - enough to folder over to make a tab that you can drill holes into to fasten it to the rack
        3) measure and calculate the length you need (including tab) for the other end and repeat step 2
        4) drill the holes, and mount it up!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          Hi Michael

If you can live with losing some rackable space - I would suggest getting yourself some 90 degree angle iron/aluminium and turning it into some rack rails.

this way you can have the bottom server of a stack rest on that and not sag under the weight of everything else.

procedure:
          1) buy the angled metal of your choice (something that is 1 RU along the sides should be strong enough)
          2) cut the metal along the angle - enough to folder over to make a tab that you can drill holes into to fasten it to the rack
          3) measure and calculate the length you need (including tab) for the other end and repeat step 2
          4) drill the holes, and mount it up!
          So far things seem to be working out well without any rails, but will consider in future if needed.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I bought a small rack cabinet from an office sale on the cheap.
            I have a friend that built a larger one out of wood.

Since I am not running a lot of servers, my small cabinet will do... but if I had to choose between a $200+ metal cabinet, or a $30 wood home-brew... I'd go wood all day long.

Comment

Working...
            X