Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logisys 4801: Spending Just $50 On A 4U Server Chassis

Phoronix: Logisys 4801: Spending Just $50 On A 4U Server Chassis

Yesterday I wrote a bit about the 2U server chassis I've been using that cost just $69 USD a piece. Meanwhile for fitting standard ATX motherboards and larger full-size graphics cards, there's a 4U chassis I've bought several of thus far that retails for just over $50.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are these going to be long term system installs? If so, the lack of rails to slide them in and out of the rack is probably ok, but if you're doing frequent changes... not so much I suspect. How much would rails have added to the cost and are you planning on buying one or two kits for your systems that you use for lots of different tests?

Comment

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
      Are these going to be long term system installs? If so, the lack of rails to slide them in and out of the rack is probably ok, but if you're doing frequent changes... not so much I suspect. How much would rails have added to the cost and are you planning on buying one or two kits for your systems that you use for lots of different tests?
      This is for the LinuxBenchmarking.com test farm where the hardware components never change (due to the nature of the testing of tracking software e.g. Linux kernel or Mesa on a daily basis over the long haul). Thus the only time the systems need be accessed are when cleaning them or when there's been a hardware failure.

The tests where I change hardware frequently for Phoronix.com tests are in my front office (not server room) and for semi-frequent systems there's going to be a third rack with shelves for ATX cases.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

show off!!!!!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        This is for the LinuxBenchmarking.com test farm where the hardware components never change (due to the nature of the testing of tracking software e.g. Linux kernel or Mesa on a daily basis over the long haul). Thus the only time the systems need be accessed are when cleaning them or when there's been a hardware failure.

The tests where I change hardware frequently for Phoronix.com tests are in my front office (not server room) and for semi-frequent systems there's going to be a third rack with shelves for ATX cases.
        You are a show off man \s. What a nice and big rack! Like one myself in my house, and I was thinking to go for one of those IKEA drawer racks for the house.

Comment

what about NAS!

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Logisys 4801: Spending Just $50 On A 4U Server Chassis

Yesterday I wrote a bit about the 2U server chassis I've been using that cost just $69 USD a piece. Meanwhile for fitting standard ATX motherboards and larger full-size graphics cards, there's a 4U chassis I've bought several of thus far that retails for just over $50.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21546
          Is there one of these rack mount cases to be used for NAS. I need something that gives me hot swappable disks!

Comment

Blue painter's tape FTW!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              server room
              Properly equipped with a bar, I see. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                Doubles as business meeting room and such
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                  lol just don't drink and benchmark

If the server room at my employer looked like the setup Michael has, I'd be going hmmmm!

Comment

Working...
                  X