Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColorHug ALS Is An Open-Source Ambient Light Sensor

Phoronix: ColorHug ALS Is An Open-Source Ambient Light Sensor

The ColorHug ALS is an ambient light sensor developed by Richard Hughes to dynamically control the brightness of laptop panels -- for laptops that don't have a built-in light sensor for said purpose...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it really need Gnome (3)? Nah. I hope the driver is generic enough so implementation works generally, on console, KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, gnome, plain twm and everything else. Other than that it looks nice. I guess the price is due to small charge and enclosure + fully laid out USB plug.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Going by the picture, it looks a bit bulky. It looks like the only reason it requires Gnome is because he's integrated the management logic into it.

I implemented a much simpler solution to the same problem a while ago, using a Python script to take picture with the webcam, estimate ambient brightness based on the mean value, and apply a linear mapping to get a setting for the screen brightness. Not quite as seamless, but works quite well, in my experience.

Comment

Working...
      X