Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Graphical Boot System Sees Rare Update

Phoronix: Plymouth Graphical Boot System Sees Rare Update

Most Linux distributions now use Plymouth as their graphical boot system / splash screen that leverages DRM/KMS kernel support. While many Linux distributions rely on Plymouth, there hasn't been a formal release in the better part of a year -- until yesterday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it work? That's all I want to know.

I've never ever got Plymouth to work properly, I just end up turning it off.

Comment

Tends to get broken for me also when I use Nvidia binary blobs. No problem when using open-source drivers tough.

Comment

It works perfectly for me on AMD (both fglrx and r600g), where I installed it on my Gentoo manually, and I've never had an issue with it on openSUSE (used on NVIDIA and Intel systems).

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Does it work? That's all I want to know.

I've never ever got Plymouth to work properly, I just end up turning it off.
          Proprietary drivers don't handle Plymouth well because they don't implement KMS and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            It works perfectly for me on AMD (both fglrx and r600g), where I installed it on my Gentoo manually, and I've never had an issue with it on openSUSE (used on NVIDIA and Intel systems).
            Weird, for me it looks like thisShutdown) https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfrj73s4ch...11800.mp4?dl=0 , (boot) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ja0nmfdz6q...11821.mp4?dl=0

It's visible better on shutdown where I get some system logging on top of my plymouth and on boot the screen goes black and then back to plymouth a couple of times and then the loading animation part gets bugged,

Comment

Will this help in providing a flicker-free boot process?

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
                Not very useful stuff on SSD.
                My fist thought exactly. Might be good for live CDs though, they boot very slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  Proprietary drivers don't handle Plymouth well because they don't implement KMS and stuff like that.
                  I still have issues even with the open source Intel Drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Works fine with the nVidia driver on Fedora. May need to pass GRUB_GFXMODE during boot. Check instructions on this link:

Looking Fedora 23/22/21 nVidia Drivers Install Guide? This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 20 “Heisenbug” and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700 series cards. Older GeForce series cards works with 304.xx nVidia drivers and newer 8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700 series cards works with 331.xx nVidia drivers. Fedora 20 nVidia driver installation is not much different from previous Fedora versions. This guide is divided in three sections Install, Restore Plymouth, Uninstall I have tested this guide with a couple computers, so let me know, if you have some problems and if you succeed, you could post output of following commands:

Comment

Working...
                    X