Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Is Looking For A Diversity Advisor

Phoronix: Fedora Is Looking For A Diversity Advisor

While there's the OPW (now known as Outreachy) and other initiatives to try to encourage women and other less represented groups to participate in open-source communities, the Fedora Project is attempting to take things a step further by pursuing a Diversity Advisor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have you guys heard about the diversity movement in the garbage collection industry? Or the outreach program for male nurses?

I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
      Have you guys heard about the diversity movement in the garbage collection industry? Or the outreach program for male nurses?

I haven't.
      I see from your profile that you've asked this question in other articles too... I guess without much looking, at least not on the latter. For example, these were on the first page of a google search:

I don't know much about garbage collection (outside of the kind that happens when you free memory), but in nursing, diversity certainly is also an important issue. It happens that the percentage number of male nurses in the US is several times the number of women in open source, for example.... but, since open source is where I work and can do some good, open source is the area I care about, and what this initiative is for.

Comment

Hum, from the headline I thought they were looking into program diversity, as in not being so concentrated on GNOME. Now that would be worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post

I haven't.

Story from NURSE.COM by Laura Childers When David Vlahov, RN, PhD, received his nursing degree in 1983, he joined the 2% of men who were working as nurses. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of male RNs increased to 8.1% in 2011. While the rise has been slow and steady, Vlahov said he hopes to see that number increase significantly in the coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Fedora Is Looking For A Diversity Advisor

While there's the OPW (now known as Outreachy) and other initiatives to try to encourage women and other less represented groups to participate in open-source communities, the Fedora Project is attempting to take things a step further by pursuing a Diversity Advisor...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ersity-Advisor
            Hire Anita Sarkeesian as a spokesperson. That'll get some diversity!

Comment

Well... guess that ends my relationship with Fedora. I can tolerate outreach programs as being misguided but good intentioned... having a project Diversity Advisor however.... nope, nope, nope that means having bought far too much into the social justice cult than I'm comfortable supporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Well... guess that ends my relationship with Fedora. I can tolerate outreach programs as being misguided but good intentioned... having a project Diversity Advisor however.... nope, nope, nope that means having bought far too much into the social justice cult than I'm comfortable supporting.
                I think these initiatives, particularly this "Diversity Advisor" (hilarious! ) title, have an opposite effect of what they claim to achieve, in effect perpetuating the notion of women as victims in the IT/engineering industry. Complete waste of time, money, resources.... There's no one stopping women from entering the field, no legal barriers exist, and for the occasional asshole who might harass women, there's HR, the justice system, as a recourse for any legitimate issue that might arise.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

Story from NURSE.COM by Laura Childers When David Vlahov, RN, PhD, received his nursing degree in 1983, he joined the 2% of men who were working as nurses. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of male RNs increased to 8.1% in 2011. While the rise has been slow and steady, Vlahov said he hopes to see that number increase significantly in the coming years.

http://aamn.org/choosenursing.shtml
                  Well I must admit Touch?!

However, I still find both movements ridiculous and extremely sexist. The job market -must- be a meritocracy between vocational people for the good of the industry as a whole (product, employee, employer, client,...).

If we start pushing people who are only in it for the money instead of self-interest, we're doing a disservice explictly to:

a) The group the program is supposedly trying to help, painting them as less worthy workers and weak victims.
                  b) The project that starts the program, since developers who believe they're being treated unequally will be more inclined to leave and users who share the feeling will drop their support.

Most of the women I know in the industry are brilliant engineers and to those I've brought the subject up as discretely as possible they all exclaim a variation of "UUUUGGGHHHH" as soon as they pick up on what I'm talking about, a few starting a straight-up rant on how hypocritical these programs are.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                    I think these initiatives, particularly this "Diversity Advisor" (hilarious! ) title, have an opposite effect of what they claim to achieve, in effect perpetuating the notion of women as victims in the IT/engineering industry. Complete waste of time, money, resources.... There's no one stopping women from entering the field, no legal barriers exist, and for the occasional asshole who might harass women, there's HR, the justice system, as a recourse for any legitimate issue that might arise.
                    The reality is that social justice is really nothing more than a game by the societal oligarchs to gather as much power unto themselves as possible. If they were really for the causes they claimed to help and be for, their actions wouldn't show that they're the ones that really are promoting racism, sexism, and otherwise. Consider the Whose Diversity? sit-in at the university of Minnesota, basically they pretty clearly think that blacks and latinos are all poverty line criminals based on their demands. Does that sound to you like someone actually for a cause or a social oligarch playing idiots for power? The entire field of "social justice" shows this kind of cognitive dissonance.

Comment

Working...
                    X