Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioShock Infinite Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Yesterday BioShock Infinite was finally released for Linux as the latest high-quality game being ported over from Windows. Judging from the comments, this is going to be one of the more popular Linux games for the time being. The good news is I've adapted the game for serving as our latest Linux gaming benchmark...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wine alert!

That game is using wine wrapper.
    Frankly, while I was happy with Witcher 2 release(and it was under discount), I wouldn't buy it now.

Game is developed by same folks who did Witcher 2, I have seen reports people said it's using same Wine wrappers.

To date Witcher 2 doesn't work properly on my computer, where all other games work just fine.(GTX660 + Vishera + 32 gigs of ram)
    Game randomly crashes and in some places appears to have bad performance. I can crash game at will too.
    Even on lowest settings game constantly crashes and is unplayable. I am not sure I can even report issue, as Gentoo is not supported, but until I get Linux Demo of BioShock - I won't bother buying this game or unless it's on sale for 1$.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      That game is using wine wrapper.
      Frankly, while I was happy with Witcher 2 release(and it was under discount), I wouldn't buy it now.

Game is developed by same folks who did Witcher 2, I have seen reports people said it's using same Wine wrappers.

To date Witcher 2 doesn't work properly on my computer, where all other games work just fine.(GTX660 + Vishera + 32 gigs of ram)
      Game randomly crashes and in some places appears to have bad performance. I can crash game at will too.
      Even on lowest settings game constantly crashes and is unplayable. I am not sure I can even report issue, as Gentoo is not supported, but until I get Linux Demo of BioShock - I won't bother buying this game or unless it's on sale for 1$.

Once bitten, twice shy.
      weird it works ok for me on radeonsi(hd7770), just disable upsampling(even on windows plays hell with your PC) and set texture scaledown to low or high if you dont have your store in a fast SSD <--- talking about witcher 2(its awesome, can't wait for 3)

and i believe they don't use wine but eON, so its native port but instead of using opengl directly, it uses DX9 -> eON shader translator -> openGL/GLSL and so far the performance hit is not that hard compared to the windows version

Comment

Can I get any references to back up such claims?

EDIT: It's evident from the application logs that this is an eON port. I'm experiencing some difficulty starting up unfortunately...
        Last edited by computerquip; 18 March 2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          weird it works ok for me on radeonsi(hd7770), just disable upsampling(even on windows plays hell with your PC) and set texture scaledown to low or high if you dont have your store in a fast SSD <--- talking about witcher 2(its awesome, can't wait for 3)

and i believe they don't use wine but eON, so its native port but instead of using opengl directly, it uses DX9 -> eON shader translator -> openGL/GLSL and so far the performance hit is not that hard compared to the windows version
          If it was not compiled for Linux = not native. And even if it was compiled to use Libs that are not native to OS - still not native. At least in my definition of native.
          I can imagine, if calls for DX calls are on the fly translated as part of program code - i'd take it as native, but eON had no access to Witcher 2 code, so how is it native? How is it different from Wine? So any app that is run in Wine is now native?

Regarding performance, I don't need an SSD, I got 32 Gigs of RAM for that. It's Linux, remember?!
          Last edited by dimko; 18 March 2015, 10:15 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Comment

Now to be completelly honest

I made some assumptions based on other web sites.
            And, while, probably Virtual Programming did the port, we don't know for sure if they had access to source code.
            So I was rushing with a decision to call this game wrapped.
            From file/folder structure similarities with Witcher 2, it appears game is wrapped(by Virtual Programming fellows), but no solid indicators are available.

Anyone cares to comment?

If it's a wrapper, I won't touch it with a long stick.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              Anyone cares to comment?
              Of course it's using wrapper and it's not native game.

Good that I didn't bought it when first hear it's coming to Linux.

Comment

For me the benchmarks than I prefer to see is linux vs windows (or even mac os) to see if on linux runs better or not, or how much fps are lost in the port/wrapper/opengl conversion etc. Or maybe because its the less common kind of benchmarking.

Comment

This is literally one of the least accepting communities I've ever seen...

1. Be thankful any interest at all was made for a Linux port. It's fine to be wary of bad ports but the lack of acceptance is totally unreasonable.
                  2. Has anyone played The Witcher 2 within the past three months? It might have taken awhile but it's in an acceptable state.
                  3. You have no idea what the cause of performance loss is in any proprietary game (and it's not easy to pinpoint such issues regardless). Stop making assumptions like you have any clue what you're talking about.
                  4. The game (BS:I) is reported to run incredibly smoothly. From what little gameplay I can experience until I get graphical stalling issues, I get maxed FPS in maxed graphical settings.

Stop being so goddamn unreasonable.

Comment

Can someone clarify what kind of port it is?

Does eon load an unmodified windows .exe and translate it, or is the game recompiled against native eon libs?

Comment

Working...
                    X