Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver 14.1 Improves Running Windows Apps & Games On Linux

Phoronix: CrossOver 14.1 Improves Running Windows Apps & Games On Linux

CodeWeavers announced today the release of CrossOver 14.1, the latest version of their Wine-based program for running Windows applications/games on OS X and Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure how good for wine is codeweaver...

I'm not sure how good for wine is codeweaver (i know they are the main contributors, the host the project, etc)... I mean if wine whould run as many apps as CrossOver..... why crossover.... so why make wine better if they have the commercial one....

Maybe I'm absolutly wrong.... but from my point of view the main contributor to wine should be a company that don't sell a better version wine... I hope other companies find a way to use wine, fork and improove it for other reason than sell a better version of wine.....

It's sad to see lot of more apps working better on crossover than in wine...

btw, I don't like how stuff of wine apps database treats people that helps maintaining them... they ask you again and again to be all the time sending tests, sending you emails telling you will be removed soon if you don't, and if you don't they remove you as app maintainer... they expect volunteers to be not payd full job workers...
    Last edited by ghibli; 19 March 2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I've been app maintainer of games that nobody sent a test for years, and they expect you to send tests every week... if nobody sent a test for 5 years, just let the guy that wants to take care of this game to send a test when he wants, don't remove it as a maintainer if nobody is going to be a maintainer ever... and maybe nobody is going to send any other app test ever....

Comment

I don't think it is better than wine-staging, but they offer a simple GUI to install apps, a bit more professional looking than winetricks. If you need to set some special options to let it run they set those for you, might be better for ppl who want simple support for those apps. It does not really matter for a company to buy it if they can be sure that everything works. A normal user who likes to play with gallium nine support still needs to fetch a custom patched wine, but those do not need to buy it...

Comment

I bought Crossover recently just to support the Wine project because Codeweavers does a lot of the coding for Wine. As a customer, though, I'd like to see a higher priority focus on DirectX 10 and 11 development. It appears Virtual Programming now has DirectX 10 level support in their eON layer now that Bioshock Infinite has been ported to Linux.

That said, I rarely use the Crossover I bought and prefer to use PlayOnLinux, which is just as good or even better as far as a GUI front-end goes and lets you use multiple versions of Wine if you had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            mer, though, I'd like to see a higher priority focus on DirectX 10 and 11 development. It appears Virtual Programming now has DirectX 10 level support in their eON layer now that Bioshock Infinite has been ported to Linux.
            I don't think to invest in DX10 or DX11 is a good idea anymore. Wine only needs to support DX12, apart the already fine working DX9 that still most games support.

Comment

Working...
            X