Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL Direct State Access Materializing In Mesa

Phoronix: OpenGL Direct State Access Materializing In Mesa

While Mesa still doesn't officially support the OpenGL 4.0 specification, the Direct State Access (DSA) extension of OpenGL 4.5 has been worked on quite a bit so far and the Mesa implementation is nearly done...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hurry hurry hurry!

Comment

not to be naysayer here, but seeing all parts started and only 2 DONE, i would hold my horses before claiming nearly done. the official GL 4.0 kryptonite "aka. tessellation" has been in that state for ages and it doesn't seem like it will ever pass that mark

p.s. i wish i am wrong

Comment

Since mid 2014 some particular Linux news author reports mesa's 4.0 and probably 4.2 support is "imminent". . .

And today there is no way around to properitary drivers: OpenCL still a mess, games start to require ogl 4+:
        Metro Redux series, X:Rebirth, Bioshock - Infinite.
        Vulkan will take another 10 years
        Last edited by Kemosabe; 20 March 2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          not to be naysayer here, but seeing all parts started and only 2 DONE, i would hold my horses before claiming nearly done. the official GL 4.0 kryptonite "aka. tessellation" has been in that state for ages and it doesn't seem like it will ever pass that mark

p.s. i wish i am wrong
          If you look in mesa-dev mailing list almost every task of Martin Peres is done, and also the task of Fredrik H?glund.
          Patches are going to be reviewed, also changes to GL3.txt

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzoz View Post
            If you look in mesa-dev mailing list almost every task of Martin Peres is done, and also the task of Fredrik H?glund.
            Patches are going to be reviewed, also changes to GL3.txt
            Yeah, the DSA stuff is about exposing already existing functionality, not comparable to tessellation or subroutines.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

p.s. i wish i am wrong
              Chris actually has tessellation mostly done - you can already run a ton of the tests. As I understand it, we basically just need to fix some lingering GPU hangs, port it to Broadwell, and review all the patches.

DSA is mostly a lot of typing - it's tons of new API, but just exposing things we already do in a slightly different way.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                Chris actually has tessellation mostly done - you can already run a ton of the tests. As I understand it, we basically just need to fix some lingering GPU hangs, port it to Broadwell, and review all the patches.

DSA is mostly a lot of typing - it's tons of new API, but just exposing things we already do in a slightly different way.
                You guys are awesome . Will you guys look to tackle the GL_ARB_shader_subroutine next?

Comment

i'm glad i'm wrong.

Comment

Sounds like an excellent feature to reserve for people that are new to the project to me

Comment

Working...
                    X