BioShock Infinite Is The Latest Game Showing Why Linux Gamers Choose NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioShock Infinite Is The Latest Game Showing Why Linux Gamers Choose NVIDIA

Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Is The Latest Game Showing Why Linux Gamers Choose NVIDIA

This week's release of BioShock Infinite for Linux reinforces the common recommendation by Linux game developers that those seeking the best support and performance should use the proprietary NVIDIA graphics driver. Here's an initial look at the BioShock Infinite performance on Ubuntu between AMD and NVIDIA graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did i mention somewhere that highend AMD cards are useless for Linux or not? They run against a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, AMD should really add some multithreading in the driver, usually they should know why, their own CPUs are the slowest/core. Hahaha...

Comment

It is true that nVidia has good performance. It just sucks that their OpenGL implementation is not standard. And because of that too many projects rely on nVidias non-standard behavior. That sucks.

Comment

It only shows that all the devs out there use a intel/nvidia combo.
        More than that it show that all d3d->opengl wrappers out there like wine and eON are optimized for nvidia.
        And it is a reason to not support eON ports.
        An Internet Explorer of OpenGL standards is bad for all of us.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that Nvidia are optimising their stuff on Linux. This is probably just a result of a generally better written codebase.

Hopefully Vulkan will require a driver rewritten from scratch which leads to a better written driver for the AMD cards.

Comment

As long as NVidia refuses to license their driver in a way it can legally be bundled with the Linux kernel, I'll continue to refuse to buy GeForce again. Their driver breaking every time the kernel gets an upgrade, is just too annoying.
            I bought several of their GPUs in the past but today AMD and Intel just treat their customers better.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              As long as NVidia refuses to license their driver in a way it can legally be bundled with the Linux kernel, I'll continue to refuse to buy GeForce again. Their driver breaking every time the kernel gets an upgrade, is just too annoying.
              I bought several of their GPUs in the past but today AMD and Intel just treat their customers better.
              The word 'treat' is subjective. I personally value performance and stability as the top priorities when buying a new graphics card (not driver license), so all my machines are intel/nvidia. Nvidia 'treats' me pretty well. I use Arch, and rarely have any problems when upgrading. New kernels pkgs just come with nvidia pkgs.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                But why you upgrade the kernel? Kernel updates on stable distros are only security updates. Does you have fear to get a buffer overflow from a Local attacker? XD

Comment

I guess I am not a linux gamer then. ROFL

Comment

If Mesa supported OGL 4.2 then I'm sure AMD GPUs would be a lot more competitive. Catalyst just has too many issues. There are moments where it performs fine, but a lot of the time there seems to be something seriously wrong. I'm sure if AMD releases another catalyst update, it'll fix the serious performance issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X