Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SecureBoot Concerns Arise With Windows 10

Phoronix: New SecureBoot Concerns Arise With Windows 10

Linux users are getting frightened after yesterday's news of SecureBoot on Windows 10 potentially not being disable-able...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, what about carma. Microsuxx?

I hope now it's pretty clear why people hate microsoft. Nobody welcomes oppressors who came to turn open PC platform into locked down walled garden apple-style shit. Dear microsoft, your carma now so bad that only nuclear explosion in your office can clean it.

Comment

If Windows 10 needs secure boot to enabled, this might be a serious problem for people using dual boot.

Comment

If cannot be disabled then just flash bios version that has secureboot eliminated/disabled

Comment

Nice one by Microsoft.

If OEMs remove the option MS can turn around and say "I never made them remove it; they chose to do so themselves."

In the past people complained that MS often forced OEMs to do things their way. Now that MS has done the opposite by refusing to mandate what is allowed in the firmware, OEMs have the freedom of choice to determine whether they want to leave the On/Off option for Secure Boot in the EFI menu.

We can finally see for ourselves how many OEMs really care about letting their hardware boot alternative operating systems.

And to all of those whining; put your money where your mouth is and get a notebook from Linux OEMs like System76. Otherwise you don't deserve to call yourself a true Linux user and should just keep quiet.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 21 March 2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
            If cannot be disabled then just flash bios version that has secureboot eliminated/disabled
            Have heard of Intel Boot Guard? Evil laugh..

I told from day one that this will happen.
            Welcome to the world where you will need to jailbreak your laptop...

Sigh

Open source silicon is the only way around this madness but it won't happen soon I afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
              I hope now it's pretty clear why people hate microsoft. Nobody welcomes oppressors who came to turn open PC platform into locked down walled garden apple-style shit. Dear microsoft, your carma now so bad that only nuclear explosion in your office can clean it.
              So... Because they said "OEMs we trust you to make the correct decision on secureboot and we're not going to demand that you include the option, just make sure Secureboot is on by default because we want that for our OS", It's now somehow Microsoft's fault if the oems decide to not include the option to turn it off, not the OEMs. Wonderful logic there. How about this... why not instead of whining about Microsoft you go and start an internet campaign to tell all the OEMs that if they don't include the option to turn off secureboot that you're going to boycott their products. I frankly don't care that much, but since you seem to... get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                So... Because they said "OEMs we trust you to make the correct decision on secureboot and we're not going to demand that you include the option, just make sure Secureboot is on by default because we want that for our OS", It's now somehow Microsoft's fault if the oems decide to not include the option to turn it off, not the OEMs. Wonderful logic there. How about this... why not instead of whining about Microsoft you go and start an internet campaign to tell all the OEMs that if they don't include the option to turn off secureboot that you're going to boycott their products. I frankly don't care that much, but since you seem to... get to it.
                Generally I think business-class notebooks will get the option so that sysadmins can use cloning software to image the machines. I already had problems with cloning Win 8 machines in my company with established software such as Acronis, Commodo and Ghost, all of which were addressed when I disabled SB for the cloning process, then subsequently enabled after the cloning was done.

On another note, I have a feeling OEMs may remove the option to disable SB, but retain the option to load custom certificates. If that is the case, distributions will need to make sure that they ship the cert together with the image so that it can be enrolled in the SB database.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Nice one by Microsoft.

And to all of those whining; put your money where your mouth is and get a notebook from Linux OEMs like System76. Otherwise you don't deserve to call yourself a true Linux user and should just keep quiet.
                  I love Facist Linux users, most of them are noobs users with 0 knowledge about the real world and 0 experience on IT.

Comment

Micro$oft delenda est.

Comment

Working...
                    X