Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebKitGTK+ 2.8 Arrives With Gestures & HTML5 Notifications

Phoronix: WebKitGTK+ 2.8 Arrives With Gestures & HTML5 Notifications

Another GNOME 3.16 package christened this morning for Wednesday's release is WebKitGTK+ 2.8.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I never know what exactly it means when 'gestures' are added as a feature.

I always think of it like when you do things like swipe from the edge of the screen on a touchscreen or if you do two-fingered scrolling on a touchpad. Though I have to admit I'm not sure this is accurate. For all I know it could mean wildly gesticulating at your computer with a kinect plugged in, hoping in vein for it to do something meaningful.

I suppose flipping the bird is a gesture. Is it when I get annoyed at Gnome and I give it the finger, does the webcam pick it up and get my computer to apologise for being awful?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

I always think of it like when you do things like swipe from the edge of the screen on a touchscreen or if you do two-fingered scrolling on a touchpad. Though I have to admit I'm not sure this is accurate. For all I know it could mean wildly gesticulating at your computer with a kinect plugged in, hoping in vein for it to do something meaningful.

I suppose flipping the bird is a gesture. Is it when I get annoyed at Gnome and I give it the finger, does the webcam pick it up and get my computer to apologise for being awful?
      Gestures typically mean things like "pinch to zoom", 2-finger scrolling, double-tap-to-zoom, 2-finger swipe to turn pages in ereader applications / presentations / full screen pdfs. Any multi-touch action on the touchpad that has a specific action to be done in reaction to that action.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Gestures typically mean things like "pinch to zoom", 2-finger scrolling, double-tap-to-zoom, 2-finger swipe to turn pages in ereader applications / presentations / full screen pdfs. Any multi-touch action on the touchpad that has a specific action to be done in reaction to that action.
        From the blogpost:

Originally posted by http://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2015/03/23/webkitgtk-2-8-0/;
        Gestures

Touch support is one the most important features missing since WebKitGTK+ 2.0.0. Thanks to the GTK+ gestures API, it?s now more pleasant to use a WebKitWebView in a touch screen. For now only the basic gestures are implemented: pan (for scrolling by dragging from any point of the WebView), tap (handling clicks with the finger) and zoom (for zooming in/out with two fingers). We plan to add more touch enhancements like kinetic scrolling, overshot feedback animation, text selections, long press, etc. in future versions.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Midori

Hopefully Midori soon picks this up.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

All the gesture features found on an Apple mouse, glide pad, etc., can be leveraged.

Comment

bmalloc

...switching to bmalloc for its memory allocator...

First time I hear about bmalloc. Anybody knows how it differs from other memory allocators (tcmalloc, jemalloc)?

Comment

Working...
              X