Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter 3.16.0 Released

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter 3.16.0 Released

The final v3.16.0 releases of the GNOME Shell and Mutter window manager are available this Monday afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was extremely critical about previous Gnome Shell versions due to its focus on tablets and dumbing down the UI (removal of features), but I have to admit it's becoming an usable Desktop Environment now.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
      I was extremely critical about previous Gnome Shell versions due to its focus on tablets and dumbing down the UI (removal of features), but I have to admit it's becoming an usable Desktop Environment now.
      Or maybe you're becoming accustomed to the alternative workflow of Gnome3?!

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        Or maybe you're becoming accustomed to the alternative workflow of Gnome3?!
        Nope, I've been using Xfce for the last year, and tried every possible DE/WM in the meantime. Then, out of frustration with flaws & instability with the alternatives, I tried Gnome 3 again a couple of weeks ago. I've had to tweak it and install some extensions, but it's a decent DE now.
        Last edited by halo9en; 24 March 2015, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
          Nope, I've been using Xfce for the last year, and tried every possible DE/WM in the meantime. Then, out of frustration with flaws & instability with the alternatives, I tried Gnome 3 again a couple of weeks ago. I've had to tweak it and install some extensions, but it's a decent DE now.
          That is pretty strange since Gnome Shell has not changed much since version 3 initial release :O

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
            That is pretty strange since Gnome Shell has not changed much since version 3 initial release :O
            There have been some refinements.

I tried an early release of GNOME 3 shortly after it had reached version 3 and I absolutely hated it.
            Then I tried it again not with 3.14, and I have to say it's not as bad.

The GNOME Classic extensions make it really nice.

There are still a few things I don't like;
            - When you login it has this ugly/slow zoom-into-screen animation.
            - When you press the WinKey and get to the dash screen or whatever it is called, and press the ⋮⋮⋮ icon the animation is kind of slow and also kind of annoying animation.

Comment

In case anyone is wondering where the tray icons are now. When you have Steam, Pidgin or Dropbox running there is a small latch in the bottom left corner that exposes an arrow when you hover over it. Click it and the icons pop out.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                - When you press the WinKey and get to the dash screen or whatever it is called, and press the ⋮⋮⋮ icon the animation is kind of slow and also kind of annoying animation.
                Buying a new laptop fixed these issues for me Hardware manufacturers have silly DE coders to thank.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  There have been some refinements.

I tried an early release of GNOME 3 shortly after it had reached version 3 and I absolutely hated it.
                  Then I tried it again not with 3.14, and I have to say it's not as bad.

The GNOME Classic extensions make it really nice.

There are still a few things I don't like;
                  Yeah, but the basic aspects has not changed.

Are you sure you don't have any 3D-acceleration issues? I don't have any issues, and Gnome is smooth as butter and fast as lightning, with SSD card of course.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    Yeah, but the basic aspects has not changed.

Are you sure you don't have any 3D-acceleration issues? I don't have any issues, and Gnome is smooth as butter and fast as lightning, with SSD card of course.
                    No, the animations are rather smooth.
                    I just think the they are annoying.

The login animation should be removed all together, imho.
                    The app-drawer animation should either be sped up, removed or changed into some other kind of animation.

Comment

Working...
                    X