Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Of OpenGL DSA Is Now Working Within Mesa

Phoronix: More Of OpenGL DSA Is Now Working Within Mesa

More of Direct State Access from OpenGL 4.5 is now working within mainline Mesa!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking at this: mesamatrix.net

I wonder, why don't they just work their way up from the bottom? OpenGL 4.0 and 4.1 have both just two extensions missing for Fermi for example.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

I wonder, why don't they just work their way up from the bottom? OpenGL 4.0 and 4.1 have both just two extensions missing for Fermi for example.
      This may bring some light http://people.freedesktop.org/~cbril...ate=2015-03-13

Comment

The keyword Direct State Access of the article is not a link like the keyword Mesa is. PLz fix this!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Martin Peres is the former Nouveau (open-source NVIDIA) developer who is now working on Intel's Linux graphics team over in Finland after having completed his studies.
          I am still a nouveau developer on my spare time. Nothing has changed here

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

because some GL 4.x features are actually useful extensions that apps can use on top of GL3.3.

Some pieces of GL4.0 are pointless wastes of time and energy and hard to motivate working on.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              because some GL 4.x features are actually useful extensions that apps can use on top of GL3.3.

Some pieces of GL4.0 are pointless wastes of time and energy and hard to motivate working on.
              Yeah well, then i won't be able to play Metro Redux and Bioshock Infinite for a while!

Comment

I think the implication is that if the extensions are a pointless waste of time then the games you want to run won't use them either.

If so, then once the extensions the game actually uses are implemented either (in a good world) the game would recognize the extensions as present and run, or (in the real world) you should be able to force a GL version to make the game logic happy and have things work.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I think the implication is that if the extensions are a pointless waste of time then the games you want to run won't use them either.

If so, then once the extensions the game actually uses are implemented either (in a good world) the game would recognize the extensions as present and run, or (in the real world) you should be able to force a GL version to make the game logic happy and have things work.
                  That's nice in theory, but in the real world there are actual games running on linux today that require the ability to create a GL 4.x context, and fail when they can't do that. And it's not exactly user-friendly to tell people they have to manually override their driver's GL settings to get it to work.

Plus tessellation is actually a pretty important one. I suppose shader_subroutine can probably just be faked as supported without actually doing it, once the tessellation lands.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 25 March 2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

For clarity, I don't think anyone is saying "implement just some of the extensions then stop", only question is which extensions should be worked on first.

The developers are saying "hey let's work first on the extensions that applications actually use".
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X