Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie RC2 Installer Released

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie RC2 Installer Released

Debian 8.0 "Jessie" is still working towards its long-awaited release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be released when it is ready, which is good

Comment

How hard is it for Debian to branch this separately and stop freezing Sid? The backlog for stable that a vast majority of users never touch [they use Sid if they want current or recent software] is getting to the point of stupid.

I realize that temper tantrum about systemd backlogged everything for months so I'm glad those folks resigned from stopping progress.

The amount of KDE/GNOME uploads stalling in perpetual wait is just truly annoying.

If institutions want stable they can pay to resouces to dedicate a stable branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        How hard is it for Debian to branch this separately and stop freezing Sid? The backlog for stable that a vast majority of users never touch [they use Sid if they want current or recent software] is getting to the point of stupid.

I realize that temper tantrum about systemd backlogged everything for months so I'm glad those folks resigned from stopping progress.

The amount of KDE/GNOME uploads stalling in perpetual wait is just truly annoying.

If institutions want stable they can pay to resouces to dedicate a stable branch.
        You mean similar to Fedora release process? As far as I remember, branching wasn't implemented there that long ago either. It's really good though, F23 features got enabled immediately after F22 got branched

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          You mean similar to Fedora release process? As far as I remember, branching wasn't implemented there that long ago either. It's really good though, F23 features got enabled immediately after F22 got branched
          Fedora rawhide seems much more elemental in nature than Debian Sid. For example, for the kernel, Fedora is currently using an release candidate. I'd use Sid for my desktop if it never froze.

Comment

reap what you sow

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Gnome made its decision to A) completely change it's interface, and B) move to requiring systemd. This "progress" pissed off many people for several reasons, so they have abandoned Gnome, mostly migrating to Mate, which has turned into a huge success.

So, surprise, surprise - experienced Debian developers are leaving in droves. Those who have left have gone to work on their own project, Devuan, which will be free of systemd dependencies. This is entirely their right. The first alpha release should be within a month, and mostly likely will have XFCE as the default interface, with options for Mate or LXDE.

The decision about how to handle KDE is still being debated, with some folks lobbying to move to Trinity (KDE3) while others think that KDE4 can be salvaged. At the moment, the KDE folks themselves seem to be divided:

We don't need to argue which approach is better. If you love Gnome plus KDE plus systemd, by all means step up to the plate and volunteer your services. But don't blame those who left Debian because they think the project is moving in the wrong direction - they are not holding up "progress," they are gone. They are not involved in Debian at all anymore.
            Last edited by Candide; 29 March 2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X