Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 37 Coming Today With Heartbeat, HTTPS Bing

Phoronix: Firefox 37 Coming Today With Heartbeat, HTTPS Bing

Mozilla is today releasing Firefox 37.0 and with this open-source web-browser update comes many changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It only supports 480p with VP9-encoded videos even though the player thinks it's playing in 720p or 1080p. Still not satisfied. Fixing YouTube should've been on Mozilla's priority list already a few years... At least playback now seems to work instead of random freezes and audio losses.

Comment

Bing is HTTP? Puffff!

I can't believe it, but I just checked: Bing is still using HTTP by default, though it has HTTPS available. What a shame!
      Fortunately I was never affected because I search in Bing using DuckDuckGo's !b bang, and it defaults to HTTPS. But still...

Comment

Hmm this was a pretty quick release compared to 36. Either way - I'm glad MSE is getting a little more completed. It still has a ways to go but it's getting better.

Comment

That chat feature is a waste of time. Too bad I cannot yank it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            That chat feature is a waste of time. Too bad I cannot yank it out.
            I agree. It should be an extension.
            It is not essential core functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It is using WebRTC, which is built-in. It uses a trivial amount of javascript, and you can easily remove the button.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                It only supports 480p with VP9-encoded videos even though the player thinks it's playing in 720p or 1080p. Still not satisfied. Fixing YouTube should've been on Mozilla's priority list already a few years... At least playback now seems to work instead of random freezes and audio losses.
                Ah, good to hear! That's exactly what I was waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Unfortunately, it can't really be an extension. It's good for people who are too dumb or lazy to know how to file a bug report, and Firefox is a browser for the general public. That being said, if this were an extension, nobody would use it. I doubt it really bloats the program too much.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Unfortunately, it can't really be an extension. It's good for people who are too dumb or lazy to know how to file a bug report, and Firefox is a browser for the general public. That being said, if this were an extension, nobody would use it. I doubt it really bloats the program too much.
                    The functional goals are not a waste of time, the fact that you cannot use it to coordinate chats with other well known chat services makes it useless.

If you think people are going to build a Mozilla Chat Account service where millions of people Facetime then you really are not grasping how come having Video Chat inside the OS [ala OS X for instance or Skype] is an OS level service, not a Web Browser service.

I've got 700 million iOS users and > 100 million OS X users all with FaceTime ready services and built in front cameras.

No one on OS X is going to fire this up. People on Windows will use Skype.

So if this is targeted for the other 2.5% of the world then it should be coordinated to work natively with GNOME and KDE for starters, but not via a Browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X