Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Fedora Releases Likely To Be More Atomic-Like

Phoronix: Future Fedora Releases Likely To Be More Atomic-Like

Paul Frields, the manager of the Fedora Engineering team at Red Hat, has written an interesting blog post about the future of Fedora. In particular, how Fedora is currently assembled and how that will likely change over the next few releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It really feels like that systemd snapshotting proposal. I just have a sneaking suspicion about that.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      It really feels like that systemd snapshotting proposal. I just have a sneaking suspicion about that.
      Alex's GNOME Sandbox work is built off similar ideas. Project Atomic isn't quite the same thing but all of this is mentioned right in the blog post itself.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        it more feels like possibility of rolling distro done right with more validation and fallback

Comment

I just hope they dont break fedora. Some people think package managers suck and you need for each app a static like build or have some of the dependencies with it, like docker. I hate that idea, that is maybe in some small special cases a good idea but not in a normal distro.

I want it small and simple and no big overheads. lets just hope they dont fuch up the nearly perfect todays workstation desktop experience to have a easier server package system... I dont see any advantage in having every programm in a docker thing for desktop. its just such a vaste of many resources.

Comment

This is exactly what ubuntu has been doing as well. Y redhat reinvent the wheel? I believe canonical is further ahead because they aleady ship ubuntu touch on similar technology.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              This is exactly what ubuntu has been doing as well. Y redhat reinvent the wheel? I believe canonical is further ahead because they aleady ship ubuntu touch on similar technology.
              Umm. The primary technology behind Project Atomic is ostree which is much older than whatever Canonical has announced and it has been in production use for quite sometime as well.

Comment

If Fedora goes rolling release, they get my full support. It always has been one of my most favorite distributions, but after I found Archlinux, I just had no reason to use Fedora Rawhide (not so stable anyhow) anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                  If Fedora goes rolling release, they get my full support. It always has been one of my most favorite distributions, but after I found Archlinux, I just had no reason to use Fedora Rawhide (not so stable anyhow) anymore.
                  someone correct me if im wrong, but whats the difference between Arch linux an Fedora rawhide? both arent stable

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    IMO Redhat should focus on getting rid of 32bit arch crap

Comment

Working...
                    X