Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific Linux 7.1 Is Coming Soon, Up To An RC State

Phoronix: Scientific Linux 7.1 Is Coming Soon, Up To An RC State

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1 was released in March and since then all of the RHEL derivatives have been busy testing and pushing out their updates. The Scientific Linux development community is close to getting out their SL7.1 release but they're hoping for some last-minute testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CentOS 7.1

Didn't see it mentioned on this site, but CentOS 7.1 was released a few days ago.

Comment

I also didn't see it mentioned here that Scientific Linux has been split into two distros. Earlier it was made by CERN and Fermi, but now CERN decided to merge with CentOS and produce a CentOS variant called CERN CentOS. Meanwhile Fermi is continuing with Scientific Linux. For more information see:

Basically, with this I don't see any reason why anyone would run vanilla CentOS over CERN CentOS. The latter provides out-of-the-box autoupdating and a more rigorous package review process, and that's all the difference.

As for Scientific Linux Fermi, I'm not sure how viable that is in the long run. Depends on how CentOS does, I suppose; if it starts going downhill, Scientific Linux Fermi will gain popularity, otherwise they'll lose it.

Comment

Working...
      X