Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioWare Opens Up The "Orbit" Project

Phoronix: BioWare Opens Up The "Orbit" Project

Making the rounds on the Internet this weekend is that BioWare -- which is owned by EA Games -- has released their first open-source project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big company creates a hype

We have seen it all before.
    They just create hype at cost of Open Source wording. I seriously doubt anything good will come out of that.
    It's not even game related. Don't get your hopes high.
    They do something that only THEY can take advantage of. I don't see any use of this to community in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      We have seen it all before.
      They just create hype at cost of Open Source wording. I seriously doubt anything good will come out of that.
      What are you even talking about? The source is right there, and you can modify and redistribute it pretty much as you wish (BSD license).
      I could understand you if this was a vaporware announcement of open-sourcing, but it's not.
      It's not even game related. Don't get your hopes high.
      They do something that only THEY can take advantage of. I don't see any use of this to community in any way.
      Maybe not the game development community (even though it could potentially be useful if you are making a multiplayer game and chose the JVM for the server side).
      But I could see this being used in various network related fields.

Comment

That's the corporative use of BSD license way.

Communities were another thing.

Comment

I seriously doubt anything good will come out of that.
          It's a network services tool - you didn't really expect them to release it under GPL or AGPL, did you?

This is way better than nothing. Their previous equivalent services were totally proprietary.

Comment

Working...
          X