Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking At Building The Linux Kernel With -O3 Optimizations

Phoronix: Looking At Building The Linux Kernel With -O3 Optimizations

A Linux user has started an LKML discussion over compiling the kernel with -O3 for driving performance improvements out of a more-optimized kernel binary...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This optimization gives a nice boost https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
      This optimization gives a nice boost https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch
      I've been using that patch for a while, I remember many years ago using O3 in the kernel but it did cause me a few issues with not enough gains to justify it

I'd be curious to see some benchmarks with O2 Os O3 and Ofast (Os has a flag somewhere under embedded)

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        (Os has a flag somewhere under embedded)
        it's "Optimize for size" and it's under... "General setup"

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
          A nice boost? Maybe I don?t understand the results, but to me they look like a 0.05% improvement??

Comment

Using -O3 for building the kernel is way too risky, because even at -O2 GCC sometimes makes serious errors resulting in an unstable kernel.

Even without these errors -O3 will benefit very few users since in most daily tasks the kernel consumes the negligible amount of CPU time.

Comment

Processor type and features -> Processor family?
              +1 to test https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch

Same out of kernel code, personaly I compil all my user space with -march=native -mtune=native -mcpu=native
              Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                -march=native satisfies, no need for the rest.
                Maybe, I have just take a look to:
                gcc -march=native -Q --help=target
                And:
                gcc -march=native -mtune=native -mcpu=native -Q --help=target
                Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Using -O3 for building the kernel is way too risky, because even at -O2 GCC sometimes makes serious errors resulting in an unstable kernel.

Even without these errors -O3 will benefit very few users since in most daily tasks the kernel consumes the negligible amount of CPU time.
                  Not sure if risky, but surely untested.
                  I asked at kernelniewbies@oftc some years ago and I was told that stuff like --march=native indiscriminatedly add sse optimizations which can in turn make context switches more costly (along with 15-25% bigger code size).
                  There likely are use cases where -O3 -march=native can be beneficial, but enabling it by default isn't going to hapen with all likelyhood, it could possibly double the testing effort required and obfuscate quite a few bugs.
                  Probably not worth that 5% performance improvement in very specific cases (same goes for all software compiled with -O3, probably not worth the trouble).

I think better solution would be using -mtune=native option, It carries no aditional risk that I'm aware of and it can optimize things a bit for target cpu (mostly due to better cache & pipeline decisions that compiler can make).

What I would be interested in tho would be some gaming benchmarks to see improvement as games provide nice mixture of asyncIO/multithreading/contextswitches/gpuoffloading.

Comment

It's still not too much You can be more - see my kernels, especially from Premium series:

www.netext73.pl

for example:

PTS results

Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X