Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation + SPI Merger Fails

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation + SPI Merger Fails

After almost two years of the X.Org Foundation's Board of Directors pursuing a merger with SPI, the 2015 X.Org Elections have ended and the results were sent out to X.Org members last night...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there anything in the bylaws that prevents re-doing the vote after making sure everyone understands the need for a high turnout in order to change bylaws ?

This sort of problem is pretty common, ie not at all unique to X.Org.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Is there anything in the bylaws that prevents re-doing the vote after making sure everyone understands the need for a high turnout in order to change bylaws ?

This sort of problem is pretty common, ie not at all unique to X.Org.
      Not sure but the other issue would be that the SPI would need to pass another resolution to invite/extend the X.Org invitation considering that it's expiring any day now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's misleading to say that account expiry was directly related to the vote. It's been in the bylaws since it started; people have always needed to renew their membership every year.

Comment

If anything the account expiry would have significantly helped by removing non-participating members, wouldn't it ?
          Test signature

Comment

Membership renewal

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: X.Org Foundation + SPI Merger Fails

After almost two years of the X.Org Foundation's Board of Directors pursuing a merger with SPI, the 2015 X.Org Elections have ended and the results were sent out to X.Org members last night...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...r-Voting-Fails
            hmm, given I'ven been a member since 2006, I didn't even vote, I just renewed mine now.

Let's get a re-vote on this, if we do, I'm voting YES for the merger.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              If anything the account expiry would have significantly helped by removing non-participating members, wouldn't it ?
              Indeed. But that's not why it was done: it was done because it's what's done ...

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                Indeed. But that's not why it was done: it was done because it's what's done ...

08:08 <+alanc> we haven't bothered with expiration or renewal crap in most years I think
                08:09 < whot> I think we should this year
                08:09 < whot> I don't know what the member list looks like but given that we need majority for the bylaw changes I'd like to have current members only in the list

Comment

Voting non sense:

There's currently 69 members to the X.Org Foundation but only 41 voted, of which 35 voted in favor of the by-law change, two voted no, and four abstained.
                  Two wins

Comment

They should make it so you have to vote upon as part of the re-registration process. Possibly even making this a yearly thing with a configurable webpage. So any issues get voted on in a not worse than yearly basis. In fact it sounds pretty trivial to setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X