Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Will Soon Work Better For Linux HiDPI Systems

Phoronix: Google Chrome Will Soon Work Better For Linux HiDPI Systems

A few months back I wrote about the poor state of Chrome/Chromium HiDPI support on Linux but fortunately with the latest unstable web browser code these issues appear to have been resolved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally

Can confirm that HiDPI works great with Chrome 43 (only in unstable channel for now).

Comment

What is exactly HiDPI browser support?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        If you have a 32" monitor at 3840x2160 and you enable HiDPI in GNOME, it makes things appear as though you are viewing at 1920x1080, but with smoother text at 3840x2160 resolution. This is very typical for Macbooks with Retina displays. Your Android smartphone with 1920x1080 screen will look the same as if it were 1280x720 or 960x540, even at a physical screen size of 5", but with higher resolutions came with smoother text and vector-based images looking smoother as well. Do you remember iPhone 4 with Retina display in it? What about 10" iPads with 2048x1536?
        Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 10 April 2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

What is HiDPI? Basically the browser running on a screen at anything above 1920x1080/1200 (1080p). It's not uncommon to buy a new laptop with a so called "4K" screen resolution and currently the "chrome" part of Chromium, the parts of the browser surrounding the web page view, is completely and utterly unreadable because the tabs and URL bar fonts are way too small. The web page content can be made larger by using ctrl-+ but the menus, tabs and URL bar remain at some fixed font size that does not respond to current desktop DPI settings (usually 96dpi). Firefox has an add-on that allows the web page content and the surrounding chrome to increase in size (ie; Theme Font Size Changer.)

Comment

So this feature is useless up to 1920x1200 monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Comment

Yes, that is correct, it is of no use to anyone with the majority of 1366x768 or 1920x1080 sized screens. For those with HiDPI screens it is the Chromium salvation we have been patiently waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                  Yes, that is correct, it is of no use to anyone with the majority of 1366x768 or 1920x1080 sized screens. For those with HiDPI screens it is the Chromium salvation we have been patiently waiting for.
                  Thanks for explanation.

Comment

It's very useful with 1920x1080

Originally posted by markc View Post
                    I don't understand why everyone thinks that HiDPI isn't useful for 1080 resolutions.
                    On 1080 resolutions, everyone is way too small without scaling.
                    I went from a 768 res laptop to a 1080 res laptop, and without hidpi, my programs were far too small.

I run KDE and use dpi scaling ~140% to compensate.
                    NOTE: I have 20/20 vision. It's not like my eyes are bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X