Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encryption Support For EXT4

Phoronix: Encryption Support For EXT4

Ted Ts'o at Google has implemented EXT4 encryption support that will likely be baked into the next Android "M" release and is being worked toward for mainline inclusion in the upstream Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The google docs link in the mail asks me for a google login. Perhaps I'll learn later then how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      The google docs link in the mail asks me for a google login. Perhaps I'll learn later then how this works.
      Flip through the mailing list, he accidentally posted the wrong link. On Mobile so I can't give you exact link, but he does post the correct link after someone points it out.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Would be more useful if it was developed for BTRFS...

Comment

complete with file-name and symlink encryption
          Doesnt sound like partition would not be fully encrypted, but more like parts of metadata + data. Given that makes me wonder why would anyone want to use it when there is LUKS with everything encrypted. Google can keep it..

Comment

I'm tired having to use hundreds of layers on top of layers: native encryption is welcome
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
              Doesnt sound like partition would not be fully encrypted, but more like parts of metadata + data. Given that makes me wonder why would anyone want to use it when there is LUKS with everything encrypted.
              Perhaps there are scenarios where you just want to encrypt a couple of directories? And not deal with the hassles of FDE? And keep a system bootable and working with basic functionality even if the user forgets the password? Like.. dunno.. a phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                Would be more useful if it was developed for BTRFS...
                IIRC Btrfs already has encryption support.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  IIRC Btrfs already has encryption support.
                  Btrfs does support encryption but native one.
                  https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index...._encryption.3F

You shouldn't say IIRC about the info that can be easily reached IMO

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                    Perhaps there are scenarios where you just want to encrypt a couple of directories? And not deal with the hassles of FDE? And keep a system bootable and working with basic functionality even if the user forgets the password? Like.. dunno.. a phone?
                    It could work like openwrt. Read only root for restore and read-write user partition.

Comment

Working...
                    X