Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.9 Adds ModemManagerQt

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.9 Adds ModemManagerQt

KDE Frameworks 5.9.0 was released on Friday as the newest version of the KDE libraries that complement Qt 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why would anyone use modems these days?

I've used 2g, 3g, 4g wireless, wifi, ethernet, adsl, vdsl. They all work without modem software? For third world poor people?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I've used 2g, 3g, 4g wireless, wifi, ethernet, adsl, vdsl. They all work without modem software? For third world poor people?
      And here ladies and gentlemen we see why people should have medical screening before having kids.

ModemManager is used by 3/4g usb modems so it's not just for dial up.

Comment

This isn't for those good'ol'modems, see http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ModemManager/

ModemManager is a DBus-activated daemon which controls mobile broadband (2G/3G/4G) devices and connections. Whether built-in devices, USB dongles, bluetooth-paired telephones, or professional RS232/USB devices with external power supplies, ModemManager is able to prepare and configure the modems and setup connections with them.
        You might have used it already if you have used 3g/4g usb dongles, with some fancy DE specific GUI.

Comment

I've used 2g, 3g, 4g wireless, wifi, ethernet, adsl, vdsl. They all work with modem software?
          ftfy.

Comment

Indeed, even your DSL router is using a modem inside it. Deny ignorance

Comment

I've used 2g, 3g, 4g wireless, wifi, ethernet, adsl, vdsl. They all work without modem software?
              Nope.

Comment

Working...
              X