Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.1 Will Improve AMD Bulldozer's ASLR Entropy Issue

Phoronix: Linux 4.1 Will Improve AMD Bulldozer's ASLR Entropy Issue

The Linux 4.1 kernel will improve AMD's ASLR workaround for Bulldozer processors in order to increase randomization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD fall

Maybe AMD would have fewer problem to sell their CPU is they at least supports them. Why this problem is solved only 4 years after the CPU release and above all not by an AMD developer ?! Incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
      Maybe AMD would have fewer problem to sell their CPU is they at least supports them. Why this problem is solved only 4 years after the CPU release and above all not by an AMD developer ?! Incredible.
      This only affects 32-bit systems, on which ASLR has limited use anyway (due to lack of address space). And nobody in their right mind should use 32-bit Linux on a modern x86 CPU. If anything, this is a very minor issue... I don't understand why Phoronix even bothers to report it.

Comment

The original problem (ASLR implementation degrading performance) was solved before launch by an AMD developer.

If you are asking "why did someone else have a clever idea to improve the solution further, shouldn't someone at AMD have thought of it first ??" I don't have a good answer for that, but in fairness this is hardly the first place where an original implementation has been improved by someone else in the community.
        Test signature

Comment

Lol you know, if this is the level of news you like to report Arch recently had a cinnamon melt down issue that's now fixed, it was very fun.

Comment

Aren't you glad you spoke out so soon?

Comment

Delete system32-bit

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Due to the Intel Quark SoC being 32-bit
              Why is intel still making 32-bit stuff in 2015?.. It feels like computers will never be able to escape from 32-bit.. I think intel is still mad that AMD went to 64-bit first and so they are pouting by sticking with 32-bit for as long as humanly possible..
              And yes I know intel finally released a 64-bit architecture, but that just begs the question even more.. Why still use 32-bit Atom processors and 32-bit Quark processors.. Intel doesn't have enough money to make them 64-bit?..

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                Why is intel still making 32-bit stuff in 2015?.. It feels like computers will never be able to escape from 32-bit.. I think intel is still mad that AMD went to 64-bit first and so they are pouting by sticking with 32-bit for as long as humanly possible..
                And yes I know intel finally released a 64-bit architecture, but that just begs the question even more.. Why still use 32-bit Atom processors and 32-bit Quark processors.. Intel doesn't have enough money to make them 64-bit?..
                yea, screw power consumption

Comment

That embedded IoT-processor with minimal price, footprint, and way less than 4GB RAM totally needs to be 64-bit. Arbitrarily higher number totally worth the increased area (=cost) and power usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                    You know that some embedded systems still run at 8-bit processor without fp ? Just cuz you don't need anything else to control temperature of furnace... (and display one line of text on LCD)

Comment

Working...
                    X